Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-29-2011, 09:56 PM   #1 
TangerineCow

Wasting / Sudden death (help!)

So this is not a fun first post to write, but...

I have a 10 gallon moderately planted tank that originally housed 6 female bettas. No one was being bullied and everything was pretty settled, but I noticed one of my girls, Red, was becoming very thin despite continuing to eat. This went on for a couple weeks and then she became weak and unable to swim properly. At this point I moved her to a very shallow container and tried antibiotics. After 2 days she was still hanging on, but I knew she wasn't going to make it and couldn't even swim up for air so I had to put her down. I was very upset, but everyone else looked okay.

Then I noticed one of the other girls, Yellow, was becoming very thin and swimming a little erratically. In the last 3 days she had actually been a lot better. Great appetite and better control. Then tonight, about 20 mins after feeding them, I look up to see that she's being swept around by the currant, completely rigid and breathing heavily. I took her out of the tank in a plastic cup where she rested sideways at the bottom and spasmed a few times and died with her head arched back. The whole thing was pretty horrifying and I have no idea what happened!

I did introduce some amano shrimp to the tank about an hour before, but everyone else seems fine, so I don't think it has anything to do with them. Could she have over eaten? I'm worried about my remaining 4 girls and completely clueless as to what is caused the wasting. 3 of the 4 are still fat and happy looking and the one that isn't has always been a bit small. Anyone have any ideas?
TangerineCow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2011, 11:45 AM   #2 
Oldfishlady

Welcome to the forum and sorry you are having problems....the first thing that sticks out to me is-"skinny but still eating" this is often a sign of internal parasites.....however, the sudden death makes me think a secondary infection as well-which is not uncommon since the Betta is compromised due to the weaken state of internal parasites......you may need to use some type of internal parasite product on the remaining Bettas-but in QT since you have shrimp in the main tank.....
I can't recommend anything since I only use natural methods.....and it takes 6 weeks to be effective-that being-fresh crushed garlic given orally 3 times a day and Epsom salt 3tsp/gal in the water while in QT

Keep us posted......
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2011, 12:00 PM   #3 
tf1265

More information about your tank would be extremely helpful. There are a couple things that could be really easy to fix, but there's no way of knowing without more information.

How long has the tank been set up? Filtered, heated, decor, live/fake plants? What's in the tank? Do you condition the water? DO you add anything else to the water? How often do you do water changes, and what volume?

With bettas, stress isn't always seen with active bullying. First of all, a lot of it could be happening when you aren't watching. Also, with bettas many times environment alone and the stress of always being seen by other fish can have slow but devestating effects.

Sororities are risky, they fail a lot. Even if it's been set up for a few months, it could take that long for stress to start killing your fish. The way they work is with a hierarchy of bullying - it's not that it's not happening, it's that it's being spread out among 5 other fish so the dominant female doesn't just bully 1 to death. It could take longer for the stress to start killing fish, but it still could happen.

Like i said, these are conjectures based on the information you gave us. More info about your tank will help narrow down the possibilities.
tf1265 is offline   Reply With Quote