Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-01-2011, 11:53 AM   #1 
gwenny

My Betta can't stand ANY filter current...

So I have a Fluval Chi and a couple days after introducing my betta to the tank, he just laid on the gravel and I thought he was dying. I stopped the filter and a day later, he was as happy as could be, so I assumed the fluval's filter was too strong. I went out and bought the TOM internal filter for nano tanks (rated at a max of 45gph, with adjustable flow). He didn't seem to like that either, he hid in the ornament all day. So I then baffled the filter intake with aquarium sponge...and he STILL doesn't like it.

Has anyone ever had this type of experience? If I just leave it on, do you think he'll get used to it? Or will he never be able to have a filter in the tank? I really want a filter in there with him to get rid of the debris that floats on the surface...it's not a replacement for water changes, I still do 2x water changes on all my tanks.
gwenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2011, 11:54 AM   #2 
gwenny

I should also mention that for the TOM filter I'm using, I'm using the spray bar add-on and have it facing the wall to reduce the current going through the entire tank.
Old 10-01-2011, 04:10 PM   #3 
Silver Spar

I've got a delta tail male in a Chi - he seems absolutely fine with the built-in filter, although he's been in there a couple of months, and IIRC, he had a little trouble with current to begin with (mainly because he insisted on checking where the "new" water was coming from)

It may just be the case that your guy has to get used to the current (esp if he hasn't been exposed to one before), although others might know more than me about it.
Silver Spar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2011, 05:48 PM   #4 
ollief9

I think it would be best if you left him for a while and let him adjust to the moving water.
ollief9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2011, 11:23 PM   #5 
gwenny

I'll give it a shot! Thanks guys =]
Old 10-01-2011, 11:29 PM   #6 
Miyazawa

im pretty sure he's gonna get used to it if you turn your tom filter all the way down, use the spray bar and push it all the way to the side :D my baby is super tiny and he has no trouble with being right under the spray bar if you push the spray bar low enough (he gets pushed down like 1cm if he's RIGHT under it)
Miyazawa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2011, 11:34 PM   #7 
bettafish15

If everything the others have mentioned fails, sponge filters should be looked into :)
bettafish15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2011, 11:42 PM   #8 
gwenny

Quote:
Originally Posted by bettafish15 View Post
If everything the others have mentioned fails, sponge filters should be looked into :)
I know absolutely nothing about sponge filters...how do they work? All I can tell from the pictures is that the sponge is in the filter and water is sucked in through that part. Well, where does the water go? How does it go back into the tank? Wouldn't that create a current too?
Old 10-03-2011, 10:20 AM   #9 
ggriffin411

You will want to add an air diffuser.
ggriffin411 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 11:41 AM   #10 
ollief9

Sponge filters are air-pump powered filters which are cheap and simple but effective. They produce bubbles however create very little flow.
ollief9 is offline   Reply With Quote