Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-29-2011, 03:27 AM   #1 
farawayinn

heat tape for plastic bowl setup?

Hi everyone. New to the forum and betta breeding. Have a small batch of 1/2 inch fry that I will set up on shelves using square plastic 1 gal jars. The jars are clear pvc from ccw distributors. The fish are currently outdoors in a kiddie pool and it will be too cold within a month. I have an idea to use heat tape under the plastic bowls to maintain proper temperature. Is this feasible? Am I missing something obvious? Thank you in advance.
Oliver
farawayinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 08:20 AM   #2 
Laki

Not totally sure what heat tape is or how many jars it can heat. I thought someone here took out a room in their house to keep them warm by using space heaters? With such a small amount of water it will gradually keep the temp of the room they're in. That's how my heater works anyway (betta therm).

Now unless I am mistaken, under tank heat pads will melt and ruin plastic. That's what a girl at the LPS tried to sell me for my acrylic tank -_-'' But unless heat tape is different I wouldn't risk it. For 1 gals you wouldn't need a lot of heat anyway, best to use a hot room I think.
Laki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 02:16 PM   #3 
TonyK

I think it would work but, you would need somesort of thermostat to control the temp on the heat tape. The link is below to the thermostat. The only problem I can think of is the probe for the thermosat has to be in water to read temperature and I don't know if the probe can sit in the water.

http://lllreptile.com/store/catalog/...al-thermostat/
TonyK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 10:52 PM   #4 
farawayinn

Thank you all for the advice. The heat tape I was considering is 4 inch wide and only 8 watts per foot and the pvc is safe up to 150 deg. I might ust try it out under a single bowl to see if it will overheat without a thermostat. I read on vendor site that a simple rheostat could be used to dial down the heat output. I don't have the luxury of a separate room or even closet to keep at the appropriate temp with a space heater. That would be the ultimate, but not happening anytime soon.
Thanks again.
Oliver
Old 09-30-2011, 01:56 AM   #5 
HatsuneMiku

O_o what's heat tape? .. and how long does it stay hot ? ..
HatsuneMiku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2011, 08:35 AM   #6 
Trobar

Heat tape is what homeowners use to wrap around their water pipes in very cold weather to prevent them from freezing.
Trobar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2011, 12:13 PM   #7 
HatsuneMiku

ooh !! that's kind of cool !! ..

live in so cali my whole life .. =D never could figure out what people meant in snowy areas when they would talk about heating their water pipes .. and always wondered how that was done .. lol .. yay i learned something new today
HatsuneMiku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2011, 02:57 PM   #8 
TonyK

Alot of reptile people use it to heat their plastic container. Most people have multiple snakes and the easiest way to house them is using a plastic container like a sweater box, shoe box. They will build a rack to hose their containers and run the tape underneath the container. Its a verycheap but reliable way to keep the animal heated.

Farawayinn, please monitor temps before adding any fish just to make sure you won't cook them but, you probably know that.
TonyK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2011, 09:16 PM   #9 
Laki

Off topic, but how do people with a lot of snakes in sweater boxes reach the needs of all the snakes?! Aside from feeding, where's the enrichment? Do they live dismal lives in a dark box? :(
Laki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2011, 11:28 PM   #10 
farawayinn

Thanks for the advice TonyK. I've never worked with heat tape before, but I've seen it used in reptile encllosures. I will try it our for a few days on a single shelf before I add any fish. The thermostat setup may be necessary since the room temp will fluctuate quite a bit. I guess I could tape a probe to the outside of one container and see how that works.
Oliver

Tags
heat tape plastic bowl