Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-01-2011, 06:56 PM   #1 
Micho

Nitrites and Nitrate levels.

So, recently my Betta died from mouth fungus. Along with some of my pygmy cories that I bought. There were six, now there's three. (Although I cannot find all three at a simple glance)

They're residing my ten gallon tank that's been planted. Filtered by the Tetra Whisper 10i, and heated by the Elite Submersible 50w heater.

My nitrites levels were off the roof, I've did several 50% water changes but no change. It's still at 3.3mg/L the highest my test kit can detect, pretty sure it's way higher. So I decided to test my nitrates today, it was at maximum too, 110 mg/L. . .

I don't know what's causing such a high nitrite and nitrate level. I'm pretty sure water changes aren't doing it, can my test kit be faulty? It's probably not faulty, I've re-read the instructions to see if I've screwed up somewhere but no. So should I just re-do my whole tank all over again? Meaning removing the gravel, cleaning the whole tank with 19:1 water to bleach ratio and letting it dry?

D: I really have no idea why my nitrite and nitrate levels are so high. . Argh.
Micho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2011, 07:11 PM   #2 
aurasoulful

Oh no, sorry to hear that Micho. I'm sort of going through the same thing. Only thing is that my tank has MTS and could care less what the water chemistry is. Is it a natural planted tank with soil? I think you should PM OFL, she may be able to tell what the problem could be. One thing, do you use a lot of fertilizer? Also, how many and what types of plants and substrate do you have?
aurasoulful is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2011, 09:51 PM   #3 
Micho

Yeah I've already PM'd OFL. I don't use a lot of fertilizers I only use root tabs by API and once a week of Flourish by Seachem. I have like 10 plants, and Eco-complete substrate.

As for plant type, some swords, vals, java fern, crypt, and some weird species that I forgot. . . So yeah, don't see what's wrong with my tank. If anyone else might have an idea to what's going, please reply. o:

In the meantime I'll go read about RCS and start to prep to get them.
Old 10-01-2011, 10:24 PM   #4 
aurasoulful

Wow I use the same substrate and root tabs as you. You may need floating plats to suck up some of the extra nutrients. I'm getting my hands on some myself ASAP
Old 10-01-2011, 10:25 PM   #5 
Micho

Quote:
Originally Posted by aurasoulful View Post
Wow I use the same substrate and root tabs as you. You may need floating plats to suck up some of the extra nutrients. I'm getting my hands on some myself ASAP
I'll see if they have some, although my tank has a current so duckweed and frogbit wouldn't do so well, maybe some java moss. C:
Old 10-01-2011, 10:33 PM   #6 
aurasoulful

:( You'll find something. How are the plants growing?