Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Chat
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-03-2011, 11:10 AM   #21 
Luimeril

i think one of my dividers is top fin. it's okay. x: i only used it for what it's for once, and that was to keep Gackt away from my gups. you can make your own, though, out of plastic mesh canvas and portfolio spines... real cheap. i think there's a tutorial on here, but i can't find it for the life of me at this moment...
Luimeril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 12:13 PM   #22 
sarahbeth1976

Quote:
Originally Posted by WDW Donna View Post
I just got home from an outdoor wedding (in a tent) where the centrepieces were female bettas in mason jars. Please note I am from Ontario, Canada it was darn cold!! Anyway out of the 25 jars I only brought home two. If I had unlimited space I would have brought them all!
My daughter has a male betta so I was joking I brought him home a couple of girlfriends. (I have no plans to breed them, not sure if I want to get into that.)
I am not sure if I can put two females in a tank together though, and how big should the tank be?
Thanks. I will post pictures of Poly and Lilo soon.
My heart breaks for those other bettas who were not rescued. I've only ahd my boy, Argo, for a couple months, but he already owns my heart. Bettas are NOT pretty flowers, they are living, breathing creatues with souls/spirits.

I am glad you rescued these two girls.
sarahbeth1976 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 12:33 PM   #23 
WDW Donna

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luimeril View Post
i think one of my dividers is top fin. it's okay. x: i only used it for what it's for once, and that was to keep Gackt away from my gups. you can make your own, though, out of plastic mesh canvas and portfolio spines... real cheap. i think there's a tutorial on here, but i can't find it for the life of me at this moment...
I did see that link actually. I might give it a try, though I'm not the handiest of people.
Thanks
WDW Donna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 04:45 PM   #24 
mjoy79

I'm surprised they used females. Since males have the flowing fins and are usually seen as decorations. But I suppose they were cheaper than the males. If I were to use bettas as centerpieces (well I wouldn't), I would use only a few and put them in very large jars/vases (and make sure whoever was taking care of decor got them to good homes or I would take them all as my own fish!)
mjoy79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 05:10 PM   #25 
Pitluvs

It's pretty simple. Michaels Craft Store has the plastic canvas for $0.89 per sheet, Staples has a pack of 6 portfolio covers with 6 of the spines in blue for $4. You can get GE Silicone for $5 at Home Depot (Get blue container, GE I not II) and a caulking gun for $4. Then you just cut to size, silicone everything in place and let it dry for 48h. Silicone can come off with a flat blade, if you ever want to put the tank back to normal. It's about $15 for a divider but its sturdy and stable.
Pitluvs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 12:06 PM   #26 
WDW Donna

**UPDATE**
So I have been doing tons of research and driving around town trying to decide what kind/size of tank my two rescues are going to live. I walked into Petsmart to price tanks and accessories when I saw a 2.5gal MiniBow tank complete with divider!! I know it is kind of small, and I would rather have something bigger but it really comes down to cost and space for me. As much as I would love a 10gal mansion for Poly and Lilo they are going to have to settle for this townhouse. It is still better than where they were or where they would have ended up (in a tank with pond gold fish twice their size). I have put the water in and the filter is running. (small heater will be the next purchase) If the water is the same temp as the bowls they are in can I put them in tomorrow? - I have water conditioner to put in. Would a 2.5gal be much the same care as my 1.77gal that my daughters male betta is in?
Thanks. Will post pictures when the girls are in.
WDW Donna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 12:14 PM   #27 
Sena Hansler

....Outside. In Ontario. OH MY GOSH! That's horrible... I'm in Alberta so I pretty much know what you mean D: good job on getting some of them though..
Sena Hansler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 12:37 PM   #28 
Indyfishy

a 2.5 gallon is wayyyyy too small for two bettas =/ and I've heard that the divider in that kit is very unreliable, so watch out.
Indyfishy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 01:57 PM   #29 
nel3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leeniex View Post
Those poor things. What happened to the rest of them I wonder.
same here. my brother won the VT i have from a wedding also. he had no particluar attachment while i did.
nel3 is online now   Reply With Quote