Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-02-2011, 03:14 AM   #1 
BubbleBetta12

Emergency!!!

I got my fish on Thursday and he was fine swimming in his tank. Now he is not active and is not swimming around that much. Also when he does swim he swims on his side and when he goes up for air he does a loop-de-loop. He also lays in the gravel instead of the betta leaf I got for him. He won't eat when I feed him but that makes me worry even more... Please if you know anything about this or it has happened to you tell me! Thankyou please fast reponses!!!
BubbleBetta12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2011, 03:20 AM   #2 
allilovesherbetta

it sounds like he might be dying.:( does he have any white spots or was he rubbing against his plants and all. if so this is usually a sign of a parasite tht can be treated with ich away parasite rid....
allilovesherbetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2011, 03:31 AM   #3 
BubbleBetta12

No parasites i checked him while he was swimming around he doesnt use his lef tfin though so he just swims on his side.
Old 10-02-2011, 03:36 AM   #4 
BubbleBetta12

Now he is just swimming around super fast! WTH is going on?
Old 10-02-2011, 09:13 AM   #5 
Oldfishlady

Need some more information...

How big is the tank, filter, live plants, type of additives used, water temp...have you made any water changes, if so, how much/many......how did you acclimate him to the new water when you first got him....

Right now-I would make a 50% water change with like temp water and dose the dechlorinator for the full volume of the tank....

Do you have any Epsom salt (Not aquarium salt) and tannins-either IAL or Oak leaf....
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2011, 02:44 PM   #6 
allilovesherbetta

did he have ANY symptoms before when u first got him? if u got him from a pet store u might be able to see what might be wrong if u bring him in and have them examine him or they can exchange a fish if nessecary.. i have had to do this... r.i.p fransico
Old 10-02-2011, 03:40 PM   #7 
BubbleBetta12

The tank is 2 gallons with a bubble thing. The water temp is always at 78 because I check it all throughout the day. I don't have live plants I just have plastic ones that I rinsed real well with hot water. I don't have a filter but the box said that that bubbler was a under gravel filter. I have not made any recent water changes but when my first betta died I did a 100% water change. I use Top Fin betta water conditioner and use the dose it says for 2 gallons. When I got him the way I acclimated him to the water was setting his cup in the water and leaving him there for 15-20 minutes. I don't know what is going on please help!
Old 10-02-2011, 03:52 PM   #8 
BubbleBetta12

And no he did not have any symptoms before I got him. He was swimming around fine and then he just stopped swimming and was doing loop-de-loops and swimming on his side. It doesn't matter anymore though when I woke up this morning he was dead.
Old 10-03-2011, 04:42 AM   #9 
allilovesherbetta

im so sorry R.IP :( i wish i could have helped and he woulda gotten better i was praying for him .......
Old 10-03-2011, 06:28 AM   #10 
Miyazawa

It sounds like SBD. It's either genetics or you overfed him. But I'm just guessing from the swimming sideway symptom.
Miyazawa is offline   Reply With Quote