Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > The Lounge
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-05-2011, 09:07 PM   #11 
Duncan13

As larger, I meant something around the size of a conure, 10 in or so, including the tail- not like a Mollucan 'too or something. Parrotlets are only 5 in. The cage I can get is 50*40*30(short side)*64(tall side). My parents will not have much time to actually hands on play with him, but they can interact with him while doing other things, (example: riding on my mom's shoulder while she washes dishes etc.) As I said before, they will have a couple hours everyday outside of their cage to play and stuff.
Duncan13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 09:13 PM   #12 
BettaMiah

Have you owned parrots or other birds before?

If not, I reccomend starting small. I reccomend Budgies. Very small, 'easy' to care for, and only about 20$. Then, once you have the basics, you can get a parrot?

Just a suggestion. Parrots are very hard pets to keep.

If you won't be home a lot, yes, get two. They are very social.
BettaMiah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 02:01 AM   #13 
copperarabian

Be careful if you get two birds because they might bond to each other instead of you/ You can usually avoid this by having them in separate cages, or by buying the second after your first bird is bonded to you.

I think if you've done enough research, as well as your parents, and your really committed a conure is fine. But if you are unsure at all go with a lovebird, parolet, or a cockatiel. By the way, cockatiels are awesome :D
copperarabian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 02:07 AM   #14 
Pitluvs

Yes the Senegal is $1500cdn, he was laying against the cage tonight and the store, smuggling with me. Breaks my heart. We like cockatiels too, Hubby wants one. I hear the are very loveble birds. They are about $70-100 ea here :(
Pitluvs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 04:44 AM   #15 
Duncan13

Thanks for the suggestion, I currently already have a budgie, whom is mentally impaired. And budgies are also parrots, they have hookbills and zygodactyl feet that all parrots have. The thing with your suggestion is...I don't think that you should start with a budgie as a first parrot if your heart is set on a larger parrot. Budgies will not "prepare you" for a larger bird, as their needs are totally different, and having a budgie won't teach you what having a larger parrot is like. And what's gonna happen to the budgie once you get a larger parrot? They still need care and interaction, and they live for 15+ years.

A website I went to stated that sun conures can form multiple bonds with multiple birds/people, not 100% sure that is true or not though. I'm continuing to visit breeders to see the personalities of all the parrots to find the one for me.
Old 10-06-2011, 05:28 AM   #16 
Duncan13

Pitluvs you should get the senegal! He sounds so adorable!
Old 10-06-2011, 08:34 AM   #17 
Dragonlady

I have never kept a conure, but you can't go wrong with a handraised cockateil. If you can find a hand raised cockateil, they are very sweet affectionate birds that can be paper trained. Hand raised birds are fed exclusively by humans after they hatch, and are very tame without any training. I used to keep a pair of 2 handraised cockateils together, and they both bonded quickly with me. I trained them both to do a wolf whistle and to say the word "hello." I really miss them, but sadly my husband does not like birds. Birds in general can be very loud when you might want them to be silent.....like at 4 am when you might want to be sleeping.
Dragonlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 09:35 AM   #18 
copperarabian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duncan13 View Post
Thanks for the suggestion, I currently already have a budgie, whom is mentally impaired. And budgies are also parrots, they have hookbills and zygodactyl feet that all parrots have. The thing with your suggestion is...I don't think that you should start with a budgie as a first parrot if your heart is set on a larger parrot. Budgies will not "prepare you" for a larger bird, as their needs are totally different, and having a budgie won't teach you what having a larger parrot is like. And what's gonna happen to the budgie once you get a larger parrot? They still need care and interaction, and they live for 15+ years.

A website I went to stated that sun conures can form multiple bonds with multiple birds/people, not 100% sure that is true or not though. I'm continuing to visit breeders to see the personalities of all the parrots to find the one for me.
I agree with you, if your older and want a larger bird a budgie is going to be cute, but not fill that whole in your heart. I really think you should get the conure if you want it, they are so playful and you'll be amazed by new things all the time.

Conures can form multiple bonds, as long as it's being socialized properly with the family. If they aren't they might only like one person, and be mean to everyone else. it seems like everyone in your house will be playing with it some, so it shouldn't be a problem.

I'm excited about you getting a bird, I can't wait to here what you get and see some pics :D
copperarabian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 03:00 PM   #19 
diablo13

All birds can form multiple bonds, it depends on how they're raised. Sprite is a one-person bird, he only likes me. If you love Conures I would get one, but if you just want a big bird I would go with a Cockatiel, all the swag of a big bird with " easy" care.
diablo13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 11:40 PM   #20 
Duncan13

I really like cockatiels also, a member of another forum said that he/she kept many of her conures with a cockatiel buddy so they they would have company and that worked out nicely.

I don't know if I will be able to get them really soon, because my parents really don't want us to make the same mistakes we've made in the past. When we got our rabbit...we rushed into it and ended up buying these unweaned, sick rabbits from the local pet market instead of a private breeder as we planned. We also didn't have all the supplies ready yet. So this time, we all agreed to take it slowly, and buy the cage, toys, supplies, first-and not to rush the whole process, I feel that with time, the right bird for me will come.