Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-28-2011, 02:34 PM   #1 
Sarahlydear

Fish can't help but float

I went to Petco yesterday and got a little crowntail female that is having some issues. She can swim fine and has a really spunky attitude but she can't stay at the bottom. Every time she swims down she ends up floating back up.
I want to put her in a divided 10gal here soon until she's better and then in my sorority and she seems in otherwise great health. It's just she can't help but float.
Earlier today I tried to feed her some pellets which she rejected but she did eat 2 freeze-dried bloodworms and tonight I was planing on frozen brine shrimp.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks

PS: Right now I'm keeping her in a bowl until I get the okay to put her in my 10gal which is heated and planted but has no filtration system.
Sarahlydear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 02:49 PM   #2 
Sarahlydear

Looking more into it it looks like Swim Bladder Disorder and so I'm going to fast her but I was wondering if regular Aquarium Salt work alright? I don't have any Epsom Salt....
Old 09-28-2011, 02:55 PM   #3 
Leeniex

I don't think AQ salt will help....

Swim Bladder Disease (SBD)/Bloat

•Symptoms: Betta has trouble swimming, maybe he can’t stay upright and can only swim on his side.
•Treatment: This is not a contagious or fatal illness. If it isn’t congenital (aka a condition that he/she has had since birth), then it is caused by over feeding or feeding the wrong foods. Bettas will typically recover after a day or two of Epsom Salt treatments (1-2tsp/gal) and fasting. You can help prevent a reoccurrence by switching to a better pellet food, feeding less and offering a more varied diet. To make it easier for the betta to eat and breath, you can make the water shallower. You can offer him/her frozen daphnia (sold at Petsmart) as daphnia will help him/her pass stool. DO NOT FEED THEM PEAS.

Last edited by Leeniex; 09-28-2011 at 02:57 PM.
Leeniex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 03:00 PM   #4 
HatsuneMiku

do not use aq salt for sbd or bloat ..

if you don't have epsom salt .. just clean water and fast for now ..

also .. freeze dried food (can cause bloat in some sensitive bettas) also it needs to be pre-soaked in a little tank water to rehydrate them before feeding to bettas ..
pre-soaking freeze dried foods prevents some bloat problems
HatsuneMiku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 03:03 PM   #5 
Sena Hansler

I got a huge amount of epsom for under 5 dollars. it's pretty cheap. when you can get some, get it :) epsom bath for 10 days works, with water change, 1 teaspoon per gallon... for now like Hatsune said, make sure the water is clean! A variety of food is best. never feed just freeze dried... you can do live or frozen food, flake or pellet, with freezedried.
Sena Hansler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 03:06 PM   #6 
HatsuneMiku

oh yea on a side note ... cus i had trouble finding epsom salt (it's not sold in pet stores) .. it's at most pharmacys .. just make sure to get the unscented 100% natural mineral kind
HatsuneMiku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 03:16 PM   #7 
Sena Hansler

Quote:
Originally Posted by HatsuneMiku View Post
oh yea on a side note ... cus i had trouble finding epsom salt (it's not sold in pet stores) .. it's at most pharmacys .. just make sure to get the unscented 100% natural mineral kind
agreed. pharmacies would carry it, and you need the true 100% natural stuff!
Old 09-28-2011, 04:00 PM   #8 
Sarahlydear

I presoak all of my food.
I just got her yesterday evening and usually freeze-dried bloodworms are the only thing new bettas will eat for me. Eventually they will take to pellets but typically they refuse them at first.
I also occasionally feed them as treats but I usually do frozen foods or pellets.
I'll look into the pharmacy deal, but I'm gonna go on ahead and put her in my 10gal..
Old 09-28-2011, 04:01 PM   #9 
Sena Hansler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarahlydear View Post
I presoak all of my food.
I just got her yesterday evening and usually freeze-dried bloodworms are the only thing new bettas will eat for me. Eventually they will take to pellets but typically they refuse them at first.
I also occasionally feed them as treats but I usually do frozen foods or pellets.
I'll look into the pharmacy deal, but I'm gonna go on ahead and put her in my 10gal..

Well you sound like you have a system that works :) even try live food! if your new bettas refuse live foods, or fresh meats (worms) then that's nuts...lol
Old 09-28-2011, 04:17 PM   #10 
Sarahlydear

I go to college in a small town and don't have a car so I have limited resources. Though I did recently get some shrimp and my other bettas went nuts. :)
They we're quite expensive to ship in though...