Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-08-2011, 06:56 PM   #1 
Loveless

Wondering what to do...

At the end of this week, I'll be going home to visit with family. I'll be gone 4 or 5 days. Thing is, my roommate will also be going home so I have no one to feed Dynamo while I'm gone. I was wondering if i should try to pick up one of those weekly feeder things for when I'm gone or take him home with me and set him up in a 2.5 gallon tank i have there. If I should pick up one of those feeder things, what kind would you recommend? If I take him home, how can I keep my youngest cat away from him?
Loveless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2011, 06:57 PM   #2 
Miyazawa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loveless View Post
At the end of this week, I'll be going home to visit with family. I'll be gone 4 or 5 days. Thing is, my roommate will also be going home so I have no one to feed Dynamo while I'm gone. I was wondering if i should try to pick up one of those weekly feeder things for when I'm gone or take him home with me and set him up in a 2.5 gallon tank i have there. If I should pick up one of those feeder things, what kind would you recommend? If I take him home, how can I keep my youngest cat away from him?
he's probably gonna be fine without food for 4 to 5 days.....if they really need to normally they can last 2 weeks without food...of course not that i recommend that you feed every 2 weeks LOL
Miyazawa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2011, 07:08 PM   #3 
Myates

Those automatic feeders will leech a lot of things into the water, as well as provide him with enough to over feed and become bloated/SBD. A healthy betta can go 2 weeks without food, yes. I would feed him normal right as you are leaving, and right when you get back. Too many betta deaths had happened to members here who had used the weekend feeders to risk it.

As far as keeping the cat away.. make sure it has a lid and up high? Or in a bedroom and keep the door closed? I honestly don't know.. sometimes cats are just curious enough to look, others may try to jump on it.

Last edited by Myates; 10-08-2011 at 07:14 PM.
Myates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2011, 07:19 PM   #4 
Loveless

Well alright, if he'll be okay without food for a couple days then I guess I can just leave him hear without any worries. And thank you for telling be about the problem with the weekend feeders.
Old 10-08-2011, 07:21 PM   #5 
Myates

Welcome. It's up to you.. if you don't feel as if he can make it, then take him with you. If he hasn't been ill recently, and he's healthy he should be fine, but again if you're uncomfortable, then I don't blame you.. I'd hate to leave mine for a few days as well.
Myates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2011, 12:31 AM   #6 
Loveless

He's relatively healthy, and I'm sure he'll be fine. It's just that he is my first fish and I want to make sure he's well taken care of. I want to make sure I'm doing what's best for him.