Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-02-2011, 03:52 PM   #1 
tsukiowns

Exclamation Nitrate Nitrite Spike.. HELP?

after 20 min or so of seeing little tsuki on the botom of my 10g tank.. not being his usual pepy swimy self.. i tested the water to realize that my Nitrate hit 40ppm and my Nitrite hit 3ppm and my ph is 7 and my KH is 40ppm and my GH is 30ppm... seing this i decided to do a quick 10-20% water change.. will this help im letting the water sit for 20 min to let it get to aquarium temp and let the conditioner take action... any further tips plz help
most of the time my Nitrate is 0ppm and my Nitrite is 0pm GH is 0 and KH is 40ppm PH is 7
tsukiowns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2011, 10:19 PM   #2 
bahamut285

The only time (in my experience) that you have 0 NitrATEs is when your tank is not cycled. When your tank is cycled you will more than likely always have a little bit of nitrATEs in your tank.

Your KH is a tad low, I'd keep a look out for pH movement killing or preventing your bacteria from working properly.

What kind of water are you using? GH of 0 is...very odd.

40 ppm of Nitrate won't (at least it shouldn't) kill your fish. Both Nitrite and Nitrate are very weak toxins compared to ammonia.
bahamut285 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 09:16 AM   #3 
tsukiowns

is tap water the GH and the KH are between 0 and 40ppm for KH and GH is 0-30ppms the strips are the 5 in one readers so they are between colors... yeah i keep doing water changes because im affarid they are to high so it stays at 0 but thank you for the advice... now they are NItrates 20ppms and NItrites at 1ppms... the ph is usually 6.5-7 never moves
tsukiowns is offline   Reply With Quote