Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-02-2011, 04:20 PM   #1 
tonyf

2nd day?

Hi guys set up a new tank yesterday for my other son, checked water parameters today and ammonia is in between .25 and .5ppm. My question should I be doing a water change and if so how much?. Tank is 30l which is about 8 gallons.
tried to feed him this morning and he just a spat the food out.
Any suggestions?Also:
PH: 7.5
Nitrate: 0
Nitrite: 0
Temp: 24.5-25C 76.6F
The tank is filtered. Although the filter is turned down to the slowest setting.
Anyway any advice would be greatly appreciated.
tonyf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2011, 04:30 PM   #2 
aurasoulful

Definitely do a water change. Any ammonia present, will stress out and burn the fish's gills. I'd say take out at least 50% The ammonia levels could be why he's spitting out his food. What type and brand are you trying to feed? Also use your thermometer to make sure the fresh water is very close to exactly the same temp as the tank water as possible. Don't forget your dechlorinator. Do you have a heater in your tank?

Last edited by aurasoulful; 10-02-2011 at 04:33 PM.
aurasoulful is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2011, 04:35 PM   #3 
tonyf

Hi, wow, thanks for the quick reply!!
I am using hikari pellets.
Should i dechlorinate to the amount of the tank or just the amount of water change?? I read in one of the posts (I think) that you should treat the water on whole tank size even if it is a 30% water change.
I will do a 30%.
Old 10-02-2011, 04:42 PM   #4 
aurasoulful

Yes, very good idea to treat as if treating the entire tank. He may still be adjusting to his new home, so if he doesn't eat for a few days it's normal. He is cycling the tank, so you should change the water at least twice a week. Try to remove any food that sinks so as to prevent ammonia from accumulating through rotten pellets. I would test the water after the change to make sure it helps bring things down. You got live or fake plants?
Old 10-02-2011, 04:49 PM   #5 
tonyf

I have one anubis (live plant) and silk plant.
Old 10-02-2011, 04:52 PM   #6 
aurasoulful

Okay, good decorative plants. Keep us posted on how your betta is doing :)
Old 10-02-2011, 05:46 PM   #7 
tonyf

Ok, just did about 30% water change, gave it about 15-20 min and checked water again.
Ammonia still about .25ppm.
Ph: 7.5.
Will check again this evening. Should I do a larger water change or wait till tomorrow.?
Just don't want to stress the little guy too much.
Old 10-02-2011, 05:50 PM   #8 
aurasoulful

You may want to do a larger change. Better to deal with a water change then to have him tolerate ammonia .25 is stressful, .50 is very stressful and 1ppm will kill a fish. You can get Seachem Prime whater conditioner to turn the ammonia into a less harmful ammodium, but i recommend a 75% water change, leaving the fish in the tank.
Old 10-02-2011, 05:53 PM   #9 
tonyf

Ok, gotta head out now unfortunately, will do a larger change this evening. I do have seachem prime conditioner. And that is what I used, also gave a full dose.
Old 10-02-2011, 06:12 PM   #10 
Myates

Definitely do a larger water change, 0-.25 is safe, but 0 is what your goal is. I'd recommend what Aura said, at least 75%. Your tank isn't cycled since you just put it up and put the fish in there, and usually you will have ammonia spikes while it's trying to build itself up. So keep an eye on it for the next few weeks.
A lot of fish spit out their food as they try to eat it. Usually because the food may be too big to take in whole, so they try to break it down. Try cutting it in half, or pre-soaking it some to make it easier for him. If he is just refusing to eat then soak the pellets right before you feed them in garlic juice, either from crushed cloves or garlics that are in a jar with no added flavors and such. It will help stimulate hunger.
Myates is offline   Reply With Quote