Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-02-2011, 09:07 PM   #1 
Madison522

living conditions

I have had a few betta fish in the past and i have two now. But after looking at the post on here i feel like im doing it all wrong. I feel like i dont have them in the right living conditions. Can someone explain or show pictures of how they are supposed to be?
Madison522 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2011, 09:18 PM   #2 
Kytkattin

The most important thing of all is they need clean water. Doesn't matter how tiny of a tank you keep them in, clean water is the most important thing! It is like their air. You wouldn't want to live in a bathroom with a toilet that didn't flush, don't make them live in their own waste.
The second important thing is being warm. These are tropical fish. In their natural habitat 78-80 is normal, higher is not unexpected. Being warm helps them digest and helps their immune system function properly. Now, it is hard to keep the temps stable in a tank that is less than 1 gallon, and most heaters won't fit anyways. Plus you will have to do pretty frequent water changes on something smaller than 1 gallon, you have to do pretty frequent water changes on a one gallon!
Good for you wanting to learn how to better take care of your pets! I have a picture below of my divided tank for my two boys. Obviously this is above and beyond what is needed for happy fish, but I find my tank very relaxing to watch, and it works for me. You just have to find what works for you! If you post more details about your set up, or you keep reading information on this website I am sure you will learn so much about your fish you never even imagined! I know I did. :)

Kytkattin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2011, 09:28 PM   #3 
TequilatheBetta

^beautiful tank you have there :)
TequilatheBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2011, 09:32 PM   #4 
Madison522

wow thats such a nice tank! What do you have them divided with?
Old 10-02-2011, 09:35 PM   #5 
Kytkattin

It is based on this DIY article.

http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/d...ividers-21866/

If you plan on upgrading your current fish, however they are, I really recommend just having one and dividing it. Then you only have to change the water on one tank! Makes it so easy!
Old 10-02-2011, 09:42 PM   #6 
Madison522

Thanks so much! Maybe that would make one of my bettas happier? I have one that isnt looking so good :(
Do you have a ten gallon tank?
Old 10-02-2011, 09:50 PM   #7 
Kytkattin

I hope your boy gets better soon!

I have a 5 gallon, but I like 10 gallons a lot better. They are cheaper and more accessories are made for them in the common Petco/Petsmart stores. It is very hard to find hoods for 5 gallons.

With all the plants I have in my tank, I can get away with changing 50% of the water only once a week. A heavily planted (filtered/cycled/heated) 10 gallon with 2 bettas could have only a 25% change once a week. Not planted would be one 50% change a week, or two 25% changes
Old 10-02-2011, 10:44 PM   #8 
Madison522

what are the best type of things to put in the tanks? Live plants? what kind of plants? do you keep the fish in the tank when you clean it?
Old 10-03-2011, 01:05 AM   #9 
Kytkattin

Silk plants are fine if you don't feel ready to go the planted tank route. Planted tanks require the right lights (not too hard), possibly special substrate, and possibly extra fertilization depending on the species. There are a ton of topics regarding this in this section of the forum. For silk or plastic plants, use pantyhose and run them alone the edges of plants. If they snag the pantyhose then they will snag your fish's fins.

The cheapest route you can go for now is just the 10 gallon tank and a good filter. Here are a couple of kits at various stores (and it looks like some are various sizes too, oops!).

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Tetra-Aqua...-Pets/12177653

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Aquacultur...-1-ct/10312734

http://www.petco.com/product/14978/P...-Aquarium.aspx

Or, if you don't want to get a kit, this is what I would personally set up.

http://www.petsmart.com/product/inde...ductId=3804453

http://www.petsmart.com/product/inde...t_powerfilters

This filter, like most, would need to be baffled for bettas. However, I have owned variously sized models of this filter for many years and they are reliable and very customizable. None have died on me yet! If you get a kit that comes with a filter it will work just fine as well.

Petsmart seems to have the most varieties and options for kits for 10 gallons. Or you could try Craigslist and get one used locally.
Old 10-03-2011, 01:16 AM   #10 
Kytkattin

And for your other questions, any tank that is less than 5 gallons will have to have 100% water changes because even with a filter it will not be able to hold a cycle. Not sure if you know what a cycle is, but it is basically beneficial bacteria that help to break down fish waste.

So for anything less than 5 gallons I would take the fish out when changing the water out. However, for a planted or established tank 5 gal or larger, you use a siphon/gravel vacuum. You can move the gravel around while siphoning in order to get the fish poop and stuff up, or not, depending on if you have plants/what your substrate is. For instance, you wouldn't want to stir up the bottom if the substrate was soil.

As mentioned, there are a couple of really good topics that go over different plants depending on if you want to go the planted tank route. :)