Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Breeding Betta Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-03-2011, 12:16 AM   #1 
Sena Hansler

Question Planted betta fry tank?

Has anyone done a planted betta fry tank? I want to try it... No gravel though, easier for the eggs to be found I guess... How do you do it? or how would you do it? I may want to try this for the third spawn I do. Plus this time I'll have snails, and keep the dad in there (unless it isn't Maine, and they eat their babies o_o)
Sena Hansler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 12:40 AM   #2 
MrVampire181

I'm assuming just pack the tank with floating and bunch plants like duckweed and horwort.
MrVampire181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 09:35 AM   #3 
Oldfishlady

When I spawn in the house-I use 5-10gal-NPT's-soil substrate with sand cap-very heavy planted, lots of common snails, MTS and RCS-full to the top with water to spawn and rear fry....using a more natural method for many years successfully....unless I need the male or the tank-I leave them together long term...this varies depending on my plans.....the plus of mature NPT's is the fry food they naturally create.
I have never had issues with the male not being able to find the eggs or fry by having substrate, however, too large gravel the eggs/fry can get trapped

If you want to go barebottom-as MrV posted....cram it full of plants....
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 11:32 AM   #4 
indjo
TFK Moderator

I always spawn with aged water, bare bottom, half stuffed with plants (mainly anacharis - no floating plants) and cover the opposite end where I want them to nest. This method WILL NOT produce natural fry food like OFL's NPT. I use it because it's safer for my females - specially if I don't know my male's character. Once they're done spawning I would either reduce the plants or spread it evenly - making it easier for the male to search for stray fry.
indjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 01:29 PM   #5 
Sena Hansler

Mr.Vampire I meant actually planted :) however in this fry tank I used floating plants and potted... The floating one grows really fast D: which is why I was wondering, if it'd be more beneficial and better on the fry to have a planted tank (OFL your tanks sound wonderful). Next time around I may invest in planting my tank(s), or use different plants rather than floating... :)
Old 10-03-2011, 10:26 PM   #6 
animallover4lyfe

I just put a couple potted plants in my 10 gallon. :) i tried to keep them on the opposite side of the nest.
animallover4lyfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 10:58 PM   #7 
youlovegnats

Sena- IMO, it's easier to have a bare-bottomed tank, if that's what you mean? I prefer to not have a planted tanke until my fry are a couple months old.
youlovegnats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 11:09 PM   #8 
animallover4lyfe

She already said no gravel up there :) she can still have potted plants even with no gravel like i had
animallover4lyfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 11:25 PM   #9 
youlovegnats

Quote:
Originally Posted by animallover4lyfe View Post
She already said no gravel up there :) she can still have potted plants even with no gravel like i had
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldfishlady View Post
When I spawn in the house-I use 5-10gal-NPT's-soil substrate with sand cap-very heavy planted...
I have never had issues with the male not being able to find the eggs or fry by having substrate, however, too large gravel the eggs/fry can get trapped
If you want to go barebottom-as MrV posted....cram it full of plants....
A planted tank means that the plants are planted into some kind of substrate, be it gravel or sand.
I was asking Sena what she was asking for. A planted tank, or just a tank crammed with plants, there's a difference. :) I wasn't sure if she was asking for either so I had to make sure.
I was just saying that bare-bottom is the easies, as you can siphon out the little poo particles more easily than a planted tank.
youlovegnats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 04:00 PM   #10 
Sena Hansler

So, would a planted vs crammed tank be better?? I'm lookingfor something that'll have a good amount of infusoria as yeah it really is hard to make it... And know if it's even... Well... Good for them D:
And yeah was asking about planted.. Not crammed lol.