Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > The Lounge
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-04-2011, 12:30 AM   #1 
GreenTea

This post will be depressing.

I just feel really sad tonight. My giants won't spawn, my sick fish wont get un-sick, and the plants in my sorority just want to die it seems.

I miss my boyfriend, I'm not doing well in one of my classes, and my apartment is a mess..since I'm feeling down I can't seem to manage to pick up more than a few things before sitting down and staring at the carpet.

I know these are first world problems but they are totally getting me down. Anyone have any advice on how to get out of a funk like this? Beer and coffee have failed me already.
GreenTea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 12:43 AM   #2 
Pataflafla

Metaphorical slap in the face?

Maybe just agree with yourself to do something small at first? challenges are always good for getting out of a rut, so long as they aren't too daunting.
Pataflafla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 12:57 AM   #3 
dramaqueen
Banned

Don't rely on beer to make you feel better. I'm sorry you're feeling so down. Can you get a tutor for the class you're not doing well in? Maybe you can watch a funny movie or tv show or something that makes you laugh.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 01:22 AM   #4 
Banicks

Gonna sound stupid, but go for a run. If you can someplace nice like a park or something.

Running or any exercise in general releases happy chemicals in your body that will take a lil while to kick in. It works in a clinch for me :)
Banicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 01:28 AM   #5 
vaygirl

Music always helps me get motivated to pick the place up. I'm sorry you're feeling so blue! This too shall pass? It always sounds good when others say it to me. :P
vaygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 01:59 AM   #6 
purplemuffin

Don't try and change the whole world. Take life on, one small victory at a time. Do something productive. Decide to finish a project or clean a room. Reorganize a folder in your computer, do something you've put off, or do something you've always wanted to do. You have total control and when you finish it, it feels good. It's tough to deal with animals. No matter what we do, we don't fully control them. We can only do our best. Accept that things will not always work out the way we want(but that might not always be a bad thing) but that things will work out in the end. Take care of things you can, and cherish life's little victories! :)
purplemuffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 03:35 AM   #7 
GreenTea

Hey thanks guys. I can't go running here at night Banicks, there's lots of drug use and homelessness around here. Meth is very pervasive in Vancouver.

I just made myself decent dinner and picked up the living room a bit. I'm just going to bed and hopefully will feel better in the morning.
GreenTea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 06:03 AM   #8 
Bombalurina

That's my solution to everything - a good sleep (usually preceded by a cuddle with my ratties). At the very least, it's an escape, and it is generally easier to face things in the morning, rather than the night. At night you've already dealt with so much and just need to have a break - in the morning you can start again. :)
Bombalurina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 06:20 AM   #9 
Tikibirds

It kinda sounds like you are suffering from depression. Do you get like this every year around this time or is this just a one night thing? If it lasts, you may have seasonal affective disorder. It usually affects people who live in the extreme north but people who live further south, like in NY and PA can get suffer from it as well.

I get to deal with it every year.

The specific cause of seasonal affective disorder remains unknown. It's likely, as with many mental health conditions, that genetics, age and, perhaps most importantly, your body's natural chemical makeup all play a role in developing the condition. A few specific factors that may come into play include:
  • Your biological clock (circadian rhythm). The reduced level of sunlight in fall and winter may disrupt your body's internal clock, which lets you know when you should sleep or be awake. This disruption of your circadian rhythm may lead to feelings of depression.
  • Serotonin levels. A drop in serotonin, a brain chemical (neurotransmitter) that affects mood, might play a role in seasonal affective disorder. Reduced sunlight can cause a drop in serotonin that may trigger depression.
  • Melatonin levels. The change in season can disrupt the balance of the natural hormone melatonin, which plays a role in sleep patterns and mood.

Quote:
Symptoms of SAD may consist of difficulty waking up in the morning, morning sickness, tendency to oversleep and over eat, especially a craving for carbohydrates, which leads to weight gain. Other symptoms include a lack of energy, difficulty concentrating on or completing tasks, and withdrawal from friends, family, and social activities. All of this leads to the depression, pessimistic feelings of hopelessness, and lack of pleasure which characterize a person suffering from this disorder.[citation needed]
People who experience spring and summer depression show symptoms of classic depression including insomnia, anxiety, irritability, decreased appetite, weight loss, social withdrawal, an increased sex drive,[5] and suicide.
Quote:
  • Make your environment sunnier and brighter. Open blinds, trim tree branches that block sunlight or add skylights to your home. Sit closer to bright windows while at home or in the office.
  • Get outside. Take a long walk, eat lunch at a nearby park, or simply sit on a bench and soak up the sun. Even on cold or cloudy days, outdoor light can help — especially if you spend some time outside within two hours of getting up in the morning.
  • Exercise regularly. Physical exercise helps relieve stress and anxiety, both of which can increase seasonal affective disorder symptoms. Being more fit can make you feel better about yourself, too, which can lift your mood.
Tikibirds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 11:03 AM   #10 
dramaqueen
Banned

I think I have SAD. I absolutely HATE this time of year, I hate the cold, getting dark early. Bleh.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote