Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-03-2011, 09:12 AM   #1 
lillylark

Betta never goes in his cave

I'm always changing the fake plants in my tank, but no matter where I put the "cave" shelter ornament, my betta never goes in there. Does anyone else have a betta that never hides/uses all of their tank?
Attached Images

lillylark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 09:24 AM   #2 
doggyhog

I'm sure he uses it sometimes, you probably just never see him use it. LOL Bettas are sneaky little buggers!
doggyhog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 09:56 AM   #3 
lillylark

True, they are sneaky. But I swear, I've been home for long periods of time and I haven't seen him use it once. Oh well, at least he likes his betta leaf hammock. ;)
Old 10-03-2011, 10:46 AM   #4 
Kytkattin

It could be that he is just always out when you are home. Or maybe because it is so low he prefers staying closer to the surface. Or maybe you haven't had him long enough for him to try to explore it? I know it took about a month before Kamehameha would go in his dome. Even now he doesn't spend more than a few seconds in it. The previous fish I had would never leave the cave. He was off to say the least.

Your fish has a very pretty home, and is just stunning!
Kytkattin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 10:55 AM   #5 
mjoy79

I agree. It was at least a month or two before I noticed one of my guys going into his hidey cave. I recently moved him from a single 2.5 gal to a shared 20 gal with 3 other guys so I put that cave in his section because I knew he liked it and would probably end up using it again - although I haven't seen him use it since i moved him. but I am not sure where he sleeps either :)
mjoy79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 10:57 AM   #6 
Grundylady

Bo would never go anywhere near the cave I bought....or the castle before that. He always preferred going behind the filter. So he hides sometimes between the two suction cups of the filter OR under the heater but never ever in the cave....I finally took it out.
Grundylady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 11:03 AM   #7 
Smokey65662

Jeffrey uses his squidward house every once in a while, but its very infrequent. Niki, my female, doesn't ever touch her cave...at least ive never seen her use it. She much prefers to hide behind the filter.
Smokey65662 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 11:17 AM   #8 
Littlebittyfish

I have a few bettas that don't use their caves. I like to put some sort of cave in their tanks just in case they decide one day they want to use it.
I had one fish who never went into caves until one day I made a coconut cave and put it in his tank...He loves that! He is always in his coconut now. haha.
Littlebittyfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 11:24 AM   #9 
lillylark

Thanks for the posts everyone. I think I keep the cave in there more for my own sake now because I like the way it looks! Jagger hides behind the filter and in the trees a lot too - it's been a couple months, but maybe one day he'll like his cave. :)