Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-03-2011, 10:09 AM   #1 
Larsa

HELP. Strange legarthicness and paralysis overnight ??? Need help ASAP.

Omg anyone who is reading this, thank you thank you thank you for a start. Im actually crying right now I dont know wtf just happened to one of my girls, Natsuko. Starting from I came home from work today has nothing to do about my fish but to slightly describe my stress- I had a LONG ROUGH NIGHT stress stress stress stocking an 8,200 freight piece truck and im only 5'1" weighing 105 lbs. No help with my freight. I couldnt do all my work in time :( I got yelled at, bruised from boxes falling on me that weigh more than me, fell, took no breaks, etc etc.

Anyways the stress continues when I go to feed my fish after I finally come home. For the girls' ten gallon I usually tap all my fingers on the front when its feeding time. Natsuko doesnt show up! I look everywhere in the tank for her and she was resting on the plant near the surface of the water. I tap near her and she doesnt even look. I try to pet her and she doesnt even move! She is breathing extremely heavily and can only move her right pectoral fin. None of her body is moving except her eyes, her mouth, gills, and her right pectoral fin. Nothing is clamped. Her body is like frozen stiff. If there is a current she gets flipped upside down and twirls to the bottom trying desperately move to with her only moving fin. I promise its not swim bladder disorder. She's not swollen anywhere, no pineconing, no fungus, I dont get it. She was like perfect yesterday! All happy and jumpy. Like literally at 7pm Oct 2nd she was perfect. I go into work and come back at 7:15 am today and she's stiff. I attached a pic but idk if it'll help. She wont eat!!! Does anyone know what wrong with my baby!!??? Please please PLEASE HELP!!! I am scared I am gonna loose her.... :'(

Here is my water chem:

Ammonia: 0 ideal
Nitrate: 0 safe
Nitites: 0 safe
Hardness: Hard :(
Alkalinity: 120
pH 5.5 safe
Temp: 70F

Tank: 10 gal
Filter/Heater: Yes/No
Tankmates?: Yes, 5 other girls- all healthy.
Food: 4 NLS pellets a day
Last h20 changes: full changes Oct 1st and Oct 3rd
Conditioned?: Yes, Prime
Cycled?: No cuz of water changes
Meds: AQ salt for now
Attached Images

Last edited by Larsa; 10-03-2011 at 10:12 AM.
Larsa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 01:42 PM   #2 
Oldfishlady

Sorry you Betta isn't well....I would get her in a small QT container with a low water level for now.......temp 76-77F, dim lit quiet location....if you have any tannins-either IAL or dried Oak leaf I would add this to darken the water to ease stress until we can figure out what is going on....

Sadly, it could be end of life issue since all the other girls are fine and she has no outward signs/symptoms-just behavior change, lethargic, not eating etc.....and it happen suddenly.......

How old is she and/or how long have you had her, has she ever been sick and/or treated, if so, explain....
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 09:15 PM   #3 
Larsa

she was only 5 months old.... she had popeye once. I quarantined her immedietly and gave the tank a full up water change- rocks, plants, thermometer, everything. I can risk my other girls getting sick.

And Natsuko.... my beautiful Natsuko... she is gone.
Old 10-03-2011, 11:10 PM   #4 
aurasoulful

I'm sorry for you loss. She was a pretty girl T^T
aurasoulful is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 08:50 AM   #5 
Larsa

thank you for caring :'( I cant believe she's gone!!! I cant decide if I am gonna cremate her or bury her. I made a thread on Betta Memorials about her.
Old 10-09-2011, 10:56 AM   #6 
dramaqueen
Banned

Aww, I'm so sorry for your loss!
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2011, 11:13 AM   #7 
trickychicken

Natsuko

I am so sorry you lost your friend. I think the hardest part of life is losing the ones we love. Beautiful Natsuko will always live in your memory.
trickychicken is offline   Reply With Quote