Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-03-2011, 10:12 AM   #1 
ANHEL123

Betta eats only freeze Dried blood worms

I bought fish last monday. He is active and healthy. I know he is not sick. The only problem that he eats only freeze dried blood worms. He is refusing to eat pellets and flakes. I bought him for someone else and i keep him at my work table just to make sure he is ok before i give him away. He didn't eat for 2 days since we close on saturday and sunday and he still refusing pellets. He tries and then spit it out.
I know it not healthy if he will eat only blood worms and that person don't want to feed him with live food or cooked shrimp. I don't know what to do. Is there a chance that he will start eating?
I give them blood worms 3 times a day and he eats all of them.

Should i wait before i give him away?
ANHEL123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 11:41 AM   #2 
Pataflafla

Fast him for a few days before offering a pellet. If he doesn't want to eat the pellet, fast him again for another day and then offer a pellet. Sooner or later he'll realize that that is his only option for food. Once he's eating pellets regularly, you can give him treats of blood worms once a week or less.

Another option you can try is soaking a pellet in garlic juice.
Pataflafla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 01:16 PM   #3 
ANHEL123

He didn't eat for 2 days and i feed him today. I feel bad to fast him for 2 more days. May be i will wait for friday again because he is at work and no one here on saturday and sunday so he will fast anyway....
Never had betta like that before.....so picky...I hate to fast him. May be i will try garlic juice first...and see.....

Last edited by ANHEL123; 10-03-2011 at 01:25 PM.
Old 10-03-2011, 01:41 PM   #4 
ksage505

When I first got my betta, he did the same thing. I started him off with pellets and he would eat them, then after giving him blood worms he quit eating the pellets and would only eat the blood worms. I just stopped giving him the blood worms and offered him pellets twice a day. For around four or five days he refused to eat them, then finally he gave in and started eating pellets. He eats the pellets now with no problem and gets blood worms as treats a few times a week.
ksage505 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 03:12 PM   #5 
ANHEL123

I will try to do that the only one thing i am afraid to starve him. I am afraid that his immune system can get weak because the luck of nutrition’s. It so difficult do not feed him. He is on my work table. I’ll try . Thank you very much.

Last edited by ANHEL123; 10-03-2011 at 03:14 PM.
Old 10-09-2011, 10:44 AM   #6 
dramaqueen
Banned

He'll be ok, he won't starve to death. He'll be hungry but he won't starve. :)
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 09:10 PM   #7 
ANHEL123

I fast him Saturday-today. He still don't want to eat pellets. So difficult to resist give him food. I will see tomorrow. Wednesday will be day 5. He is funny looks like he looking at me and tell me,, give me blood worms''. It really look like it. I really want him to start to eat so i can give him to his owner. And i want to rescue another one from the store.
Thank you for advice every one.
Old 10-12-2011, 12:34 PM   #8 
ANHEL123

Today is day 5 when i am fasting him. I am really nervous. He is on my work table so i am literally give him pellet every 5 min and then i have to take it out because he don't want it. I even try to trick him i soak it and put on the dry wall of his bowl. He stared at it long time and then took it and spit it out.
If he not eating today should i fast him tomorrow? No one will be at work on saturday and sunday and i really don't want to leave him without food that long.

What should i do? Should i give him blood worms just a little bit. I am worry that he will get sick from the lock of the nutrition’s He is very active and healthy. I tried 2 different kind of the pellets, which my other bettas love to eat. I have bettas for 4 years and never have this problem before. So frustrating. I need to give him to the girl i bought him for because her 13 year old has a birthday on 10/21 so....
Old 10-12-2011, 02:41 PM   #9 
Pataflafla

If you don't feel comfortable fasting him for that long, then you can try soaking the pellets in garlic juice.
Pataflafla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2011, 04:12 PM   #10 
ANHEL123

6 days today. I gave him like 100 pellets all day long every 3 min soaked in the garlic, he don't want to eat. If he does not eat tomorrow should i give him to owner and let her just feed him with blood worms? Is he going to survive on it?
If i will tell her to feed him with cooked shrimp is it going to help?

If he don't eat on friday i think i will feed him with blood worms. I have ones Hikari with bio-encapsulated multi-vitamins.

He is so beautiful fish, very healthy and active i don't know what is going on. I tried already 3 different brands of the pellets.

He took it one time and spit it out.

Thank you .