Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-17-2011, 10:22 AM   #11 
ANHEL123

Finally eating flakes!!! But it funny first he didn't want to eat betta flakes. I had other kind of the flakes. It was also for tropical fish,so he ate them. And today monday he fast from friday to monday. Today he ate bettas flakes but still refusing pellets.
The reason i give update just in case someone has the same problem.
I still want him to eat pellets though. I hate flakes because i paranoid it contaminate the water. Because i can see it sink to the bottin while he eating it even though i giving to him a little bit by at a time.
ANHEL123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 10:36 AM   #12 
purplemuffin

Good to see he's willing to try variety! Keep it up! I am going through the same thing, but my guy only eats solid bloodworms right now! :) Hoping to get some new foods today to entice him with!
purplemuffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 03:47 PM   #13 
Behati

My betta had the same problem. I brought him home - he was eating fine, then suddenly he started spitting his food back out as if he couldn't swallow them properly which I know is not true. I got concerned when he refused for a week straight and started looking very aneroxic. OFL suggested I lace them with garlic but he still refused it. So I sucked it up and gave him what I should have tempted him with in the first place which is bloodworms.

I used freeze-dried bloodworms to tempt him to eat and after about a week of a purely bloodworm diet, I incorporated a pellet or two of pellet food with a small helping of bloodworms and he ate it fine. Start slow, and trick him into eating it.

1 months+ later I'm purely feeding him pellets, but I also give him some freeze-dried bloodworms 15% of the time, so once or twice a week as a treat. 2 feedings, 2 pellets each or sometimes I'd do a bloodworm and a half + 1 pellet every feeding. Flakes tend to cloud the water and require a little more diligence with water changes, so you might want to mix it up and keep trying with the pellets if that's something of concern. It's not a big deal, but if the betta is for a 13 year old girl it really is a good idea to wean him off the flakes. I owned betta when I was around that age or younger and I was very diligent with water changes because the container was very small and easy to handle. My dad showed me how to catch him without hurting him and moving him to a bowl so I can wash out his 3/4ths quart container. He lived on for about 3 years. Teach her how to do the same and don't give her a very intricate tank to clean or else it might be discouraging and time consuming for her.

It's not something of concern if he has an appetite and is acting fine. It might be stress (being in a new environment and so on) and it could be water temperature (the coldest it should ever get is lukewarm to the touch).

Last edited by Behati; 10-18-2011 at 03:55 PM.
Behati is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 09:52 PM   #14 
ANHEL123

He eats flakes very well but still refusing pellets. Since i bought him for my coworker i have to give him to her. I also gave her 2.5 gall and i explained that she has to feed a little bit at the time so flakes don't sink to the bottom. I told her to change 2.5 gall every 4 days-100%. I do 100% for my 2.5 gall. So i think it should be fine? Also that betta eats other flakes that i mentioned before-it for tropical fish but not for betta. So i think he will have good nutrients i more concerned about water contamination from flakes.
Old 10-20-2011, 03:59 PM   #15 
ANHEL123

Just want to let everyone to know that he eat pellets now without any problems!!!

Thank you every one for advice.