Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-03-2011, 11:11 AM   #1 
Betta311

Frogs,newts,and salamanders?

Anyone ever tried like african dwarf frogs with bettas?Or firebellied newts?I would like to because i have one betta in a 10g..lol with tons of plants so I figured why not but i wanted to get oppinions first =) thanks
Betta311 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 11:59 AM   #2 
SmokeNLark

African dwarf frogs are fine. Make sure they're not actually African clawed frogs though. And they can be hard to feed. Always keep in mind that you're betta may be aggressive towards them and have a plan B.

Newts? never heard that asked. I wouldn't do it. It would be very difficult to get a good water/land ratio to satisfy both species. Not made easier by the fact that newts need very shallow water. Also, one of the foods that newts eat include small fish. Even though a betta is probably too big, that will in no way guarantee that it won't go after the betta. And bettas are slow movers and would make an easy catch. Also, newts require a cooler temperature than bettas. It seems just all around incompatible, not feasible and a bad idea to me.

Last edited by SmokeNLark; 10-03-2011 at 12:01 PM.
SmokeNLark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 12:32 PM   #3 
Betta311

Yea the fire bellied newts dont really eat fish from what i have been told by many.Other species like the japanese ones do though.i was told newts can live in a regular tank as long as there is land somewere.Its a 10 gal planted tank I was going to keep the water 2 inches down and put a floating dock for the newt.Might just put 2 newts in a different tank lol =) any other input from anyone is appreciated.
Old 10-03-2011, 12:50 PM   #4 
youlovegnats

Newts are amphibians and would need land as well. I dont recommend them because they would more likely than not try to eat the betta. They are carnivorous and occasionally eat guppies.
youlovegnats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 01:10 PM   #5 
Betta311

thanks for the help guys,I might just create a seperate tank for newts and some froggies.lol =)
Old 10-03-2011, 01:16 PM   #6 
youlovegnats

Don't put the ADFs in with the newts either. The newts will need their own tank. :)
Old 10-03-2011, 01:19 PM   #7 
1fish2fish

Amphibians (newts especially) can be poisonous. I would double and triple check to see if those are toxic and even then I still wouldn't put them with a fish.
1fish2fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 02:53 PM   #8 
Betta311

I do not beleive they are poisonous i have read many people keep them with bettas but sometimes the betta picks at them,which is bad..so im going to have froggies with the bettas and newts in their own ten gallon tank =)
Old 10-03-2011, 03:08 PM   #9 
youlovegnats

o____o I have never heard of anyone housing a betta with a newt. Yes, their slime coats can ooze out poison- which would be deadly for a betta- also why they are housed in their own tanks at pet stores (or at least should be).
Make sure your putting in African Dwarf Frogs with your bettas, not Red-Bellied Toads or as stated previously- African Clawed Frogs.
Old 10-03-2011, 07:32 PM   #10 
Betta311

they are ADF not ACF i checked the legs webbing.thats the only way i know how to check.