Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-01-2011, 08:39 PM   #1 
quilltips

Moving from bowl to tank?

I have a betta in a 1.75 gal. bowl, and I'm moving him to a 2-gallon tank. The tank is brand new (it's this one from Petco), and the instructions say nothing about cycling or seeding the tank. Is it safe to skip it, or should I ignore the instructions and try cycling it anyway? I'm brand new to this, so I don't know what I'm doing.

If I do cycle it, what's the fastest way for a small tank? Would it be enough to move decor from the current bowl into the new one, and hope they seed it with the proper bacteria? (I clean everything weekly, so I doubt they'd have much on them.) I'd like to move the fish soon, so I can get a heater in with him before the weather gets colder.

Also, do I need to have gravel in there, or will glass marbles be fine?

Thanks in advance for your help!

Last edited by quilltips; 10-01-2011 at 08:42 PM.
quilltips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2011, 08:44 PM   #2 
Micho

Cycling anything under 5 gallons is impossible basically, I have no clue what seeding is though. Ignore the cycling, it's no use to you at all. Just do one 50% and one 100% water change per week.

Try to get a heater that's adjustable I recommend the Elite brand, they make good heaters.

Also remember to acclimate him, put him in a ziplock bag with some of his tank water, float him ontop of his 2 gallon tank, every five minutes pour some of the 2 gallon water into the bag. After fifteen minutes, net him and plop him into his two gallon tank. Don't pour him into the tank with the water.
Micho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2011, 08:44 PM   #3 
Silverfang

I don't believe you can cycle something that small. I'm not sure what a proper WC schedule for that size tank would be with a filter. Probably one 50% with vacuuming, with possible a second 50% water only. But I've never had a filter in anything that small.
Silverfang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2011, 09:11 PM   #4 
quilltips

Ok, thanks. Is it safe to move him into the tank (with acclimating) as soon as it's rinsed and set up, then?

I'm looking at a small Hydor mini-heater, I've heard they're pretty good. They're not adjustable, but they raise the temp around 5 degrees, which is about what he needs. I may look for others, though.
Old 10-01-2011, 09:14 PM   #5 
Micho

Quote:
Originally Posted by quilltips View Post
Ok, thanks. Is it safe to move him into the tank (with acclimating) as soon as it's rinsed and set up, then?

I'm looking at a small Hydor mini-heater, I've heard they're pretty good. They're not adjustable, but they raise the temp around 5 degrees, which is about what he needs. I may look for others, though.
Yep, remember to add water conditioner though! I've forgotten a few times myself. ._____.; Wash gravel/substrate in a bucket until there is no more cloudiness, for the tank and decor, just rinse with hot water.

I don't have any experience with Hydor heaters, only with Marina and Elite. Don't get Marina, it only got my tank up to 76F, which is the minimum. It's kinda defective too, so I would always suggest an Elite heater.
Micho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2011, 09:29 PM   #6 
Miyazawa

Quote:
Originally Posted by quilltips View Post

it's really hard to control a hydor heater, because it doesn't let you adjust it, and it fluctuates way too much. I really recommend the elite heater though, because that's what i switched to (had the hydor before)
Miyazawa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2011, 09:44 PM   #7 
quilltips

Thank you both! I'll check out the Elite heaters on Amazon, then.
Old 10-02-2011, 02:03 PM   #8 
ollief9

I don't recommend the Elite heater. It has recently been fluctuating the temperature a LOT. Sometimes it's about 78 degrees, then two hours later is at 85 degrees.
ollief9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2011, 07:04 PM   #9 
Miyazawa

Quote:
Originally Posted by ollief9 View Post
I don't recommend the Elite heater. It has recently been fluctuating the temperature a LOT. Sometimes it's about 78 degrees, then two hours later is at 85 degrees.
What gallon tank do you have? Which wattage of heater are you using? Maybe you have a defective one
Miyazawa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 12:08 AM   #10 
WDW Donna

I have a 2gal. and I don't use a heater. All the ones I could find were too powerful for that size. I do have a filter though. Our first betta Mr Bubbles lived 2 1/2 years in it no problem. Of course the tank is in my daughters room which gets the afternoon sun (not directly on the tank) and keeps her room pretty warm.
WDW Donna is offline   Reply With Quote