Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-03-2011, 01:58 PM   #1 
Smokey65662

Exclamation Fake plants leeching into water

I bought more fake plants for my 10 gallon divided to try and give my male a little more to entertain himself with so hopefully he wouldn't bite. Anyway its been two weeks or so and the water smells of the fake plants. Ive done my water changes but the smell still persists. Do these plants leech stuff into the water? (I think they do) Has anybody else experienced this? Im going to take them all out and clean them per the method here http://www.dailypuppy.com/articles/h...9-4ffea4bb3a4f

Looks like its worth a go to me. Ive just never seen this discussed before.

BTW I always rinse the plants with hot hot water before I add them.
Smokey65662 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 02:01 PM   #2 
Myates

Plastic or silk? From the fish section, or home decorating section?
Normally ones made for aquariums don't leech/smell.. wonder if you got a defected one?
Myates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 02:06 PM   #3 
Smokey65662

I got them from petco. There is only one silk in there, and the rest are plastic. I am going to clean them though and see if it helps. I am sure its not good for the fish so im going to try and remove it.
Old 10-03-2011, 09:18 PM   #4 
Smokey65662

So following that guide I managed to get most of the smell and stuff off of the plants. I noticed that when I moved the plants there was a nice amount of stuff at the bottom, so I took the net and stirred it up
I was disgusted at all the stuff had collected between the pebbles....I have neglected getting a gravel vac since I haven't really seen a nice one, but I guess its time to invest in one. I stirred up all the stuff multiple times to let the filter suck it up. its not 100% but for now it got enough to make my brand new filter black. yuck!
Old 10-04-2011, 05:21 PM   #5 
Thunderloon

Gravel vac: Gravity is the same everywhere. If you have a lot of little fiddly bits to clean around in the tank go for a one inch pipe one, you can buy those one inch clear pipes at most aquarium stores and make one long enough that you don't have to reach into the water.

For starting the siphon, keep a gatoraid or other stiff bottle on hand, hose in and mouth on to pull some air from bottle, fold hose over when siphon starts. Some of the siphons have little pump valve things in them but then you're shoving the water around and scaring your fish, can't advise em.

While rinsing artificial plants with hot water sounds like a good idea, you always run the risk of activating remnant chemicals in the plastic and resin they're made of. I generally rinse my new things in 85 degree water with high salt content, the salt and chlorine do a good job of sterilizing the items and I can readily rinse both off.

When using plastic plants, use carbon in the filter!
Thunderloon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 10:40 AM   #6 
Smokey65662

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunderloon View Post
Gravel vac: Gravity is the same everywhere. If you have a lot of little fiddly bits to clean around in the tank go for a one inch pipe one, you can buy those one inch clear pipes at most aquarium stores and make one long enough that you don't have to reach into the water.

For starting the siphon, keep a gatoraid or other stiff bottle on hand, hose in and mouth on to pull some air from bottle, fold hose over when siphon starts. Some of the siphons have little pump valve things in them but then you're shoving the water around and scaring your fish, can't advise em.

While rinsing artificial plants with hot water sounds like a good idea, you always run the risk of activating remnant chemicals in the plastic and resin they're made of. I generally rinse my new things in 85 degree water with high salt content, the salt and chlorine do a good job of sterilizing the items and I can readily rinse both off.

When using plastic plants, use carbon in the filter!
I soaked all of them in lots of AQ salt and dechlorinator after the bleach treatment. So far so good. Ive been running active carbon in the filter since thats what it takes (cartridges). Ill look into the gravel vac....although I really want to switch to sand :)
Old 10-05-2011, 09:51 PM   #7 
Thunderloon

Sand can often be more trouble than its worth, all sorts of new tank issues with it as well as etching of acrylic tanks, filter equipment and maintenance tools. The almost sand small crushed gravel is usually better and makes a fairly good substrate, stuff from 1.1mm to 3mm can still be siphoned to clean it.

To be honest, its only one step further if you go from fine sand directly to NPT dirt and plant substrate. The actual maintenance on a true dirt bottom natural plant tank is obscenely low once you've got it going, I have a 10 gallon I haven't siphoned in 16 months, wendtii are trying to climb out the top of the tank!

If you do go with sand, remember that you don't want as thick a layer as you have with gravel.
Thunderloon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 10:59 PM   #8 
SVC

I once bought a fake plastic plant from Big Al's which is strictly a fish store and that thing smelled SO bad. It smelled like it would be toxic. I asked the guy about it and he insisted they were made for aquariums and so shouldn't harm the fish. I washed it very well and it has been in my tank for a couple of months so I guess it was fine. I have also heard of people putting lego figures in their tanks and it being ok, and that is not aquarium specific plastic.

As for siphons, I broke down and bought one of those Aqueon 25ft. things that you attach to the sink and it sucks everything up automatically. I guess it is similar to those Python siphons. I had read a few reviews and people were saying better things about the Aqueon one so that's what I went with and I have been very happy. I did have to buy an adaptor for my particular tap that I have but it was just as well because the plastic adaptor that is included has been said to get stripped pretty fast so you would likely need to replace it with a metal one anyway and it was only a couple of dollars at Home Depot. There are also the hand siphons as mentioned above but this one makes quick work of water changes and really sucks up a lot of dirt. Only drawback, aside from not being so cheap, is that if your tank is smaller, the water level will go down very fast before you have a chance to suck all the dirt up.

Just my 2 cents on that :)
SVC is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
plants fake cleaning