Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-03-2011, 04:01 PM   #1 
freeflow246

Tank smells?

I have a 2.5 gallon, and I do a 50% water change on Wednesdays and a 100% on Sundays. I don't leave old food in the tank, I don't overfeed (I think), and the only live things in the tank are my betta and a moss ball.
My tank water smells like rotten eggs, and I would assume that it's my tap water, but water straight from my tap doesn't smell at all. Jalen isn't acting sick or anything, and he doesn't have a nose, so I'm guessing that the water isn't bothering him. The smell just makes water changes unpleasant, since the stench has a habit of wafting up when I pour the old water down the drain.... *gag*
Any ideas?
freeflow246 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 05:46 PM   #2 
fightergirl2710

Do you have any sand in the tank? It could be the mossball, my mossball smells like that when I clean it out and squeeze it. Releases the gases stuck inside I guess.. Have you cleaned it recently?
fightergirl2710 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 05:49 PM   #3 
HatsuneMiku

check to see if your water conditioner has expired .. i know those things stink real bad like rotton eggs when they are expired .. normally water conditoner has a slight sulfer smell .. if they are smelling like rotton eggs .. it probably expired
HatsuneMiku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 09:55 PM   #4 
freeflow246

Could be my mossball. That thing stank to high heaven when I cleaned it yesterday. Maybe I'm not cleaning it thoroughly enough? I've been afraid to squeeze it too hard.
My water conditioner doesn't expire for another 3 years, so that's not it. Too bad, that would have been an easy fix.
Old 10-04-2011, 12:39 AM   #5 
Micho

Yeah it's probably your moss ball, or it could be your filter (if you have one). There could be something stuck in your filter. . Or something like that, it's a possibility.
Micho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 01:11 AM   #6 
Draug Isilme

Why not take your moss ball out and give it a good squeeze and smell it? That's usually a good indicator if it is or isn't the moss xD But yeah, I'm gonna lean towards the moss ball.. >.> I have one and if I don't rinse it out frequently enough, it starts developing that rotten egg smell >.< You don't necessarily have to squeeze it a lot or really hard.. A light squeeze is good to try and get the gases, as well as the tank water out and when you wash your marimo, run it under water for a decent amount of time and get rid of debree that's still stuck on it... and give it a few squeezes to help suck in the tap water and kinda 'rinse out' the inside and squeeze a bit of the excess tap water out.... This helps, at least, from my experience.... Usually if I rinse it frequently enough, but don't rinse it well, it starts to develop that stench at a faster rate >.>;;; So just try to do a good job cleaning it, and it should be fine ^.^ Otherwise, um... *shrugs* Dunno, could be what Micho said and something might be stuck in your filter.... I dunno...
Draug Isilme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 01:14 AM   #7 
Littlebittyfish

Do you have a filter? Your water may be going stagnant from lack of water movement.
Littlebittyfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 11:04 AM   #8 
Ajones108

What kind of water conditioner do you use?
Ajones108 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 10:59 PM   #9 
freeflow246

No water filter. I'm almost certain now that it's the moss ball.
I use API stress coat.
Old 10-05-2011, 02:54 AM   #10 
HatsuneMiku

weird how some mossballs smell really bad .. lol some don't smell at all (like all 4 of mine) .. though there has been a few cases of them farting .. @_@ maybe that's what happened
HatsuneMiku is offline   Reply With Quote