Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-03-2011, 04:10 PM   #1 
BlackberryBetta

Suddenly lethargic?

I have had my boy for about a month now and things are going okay, he has gone through lots of temperature changes though. Everything seemed okay until a few days ago he started acting lethargic. He just lays on the bottom, he will come up to eat and swim for a couple mintues and just go lay at the bottom again. I recently got a proper submersible heater for his 2 gallon which keeps the tank at a steady 78, I am really happy with this new heater. But ever since I got the heater, he is acting lethargic. What do you guys think is going on? Please help! He is my favorite betta. Thanks.
BlackberryBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 07:16 PM   #2 
BlackberryBetta

Please help, it's getting worse! It's really weird, he will just freeze up and slowing float to the top ( not like he's dead) and I will nudge him and he will sorta snap out of it and then slowing sink. He is also keeping his fins really clamped, I need help! I have no idea what is causing this!!!
Old 10-04-2011, 04:02 AM   #3 
Sakura8

Blackberry, what kind of heater is it and do you have a thermometer? You can't always rely on the thermostat of a heater and if your heater is preset at 78 degrees, it may be malfunctioning. His symptoms sound as if he may have some temperature shock. Definitely get a thermometer so you can test the water as soon as possible.

Did he go from room temp water straight into heated water?

Also, if he has trouble reaching the surface, lower the water level as much as necessary to make it easier for him to breathe air.

Hang in there and keep us posted.
Sakura8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 09:46 AM   #4 
Oldfishlady

I agree with Sakura-double check the temp with a thermometer...also...

In the 2gal tank-how much and how often are the water changes, water temp, filter, live plants, additives, appetite, any tank mates, how long has he been in this setup......
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 03:42 PM   #5 
BlackberryBetta

Thanks guys. He has been in this tank the whole time he has been with me and he was fine. I do have a thermometer and the tank was staying at a steady 78. I add top fin water conditioner, he has nO tank mates, no filter and is eating but less than normal
Old 10-05-2011, 09:26 AM   #6 
Oldfishlady

How much and how often are the water changes and when was the last one...
Old 10-05-2011, 01:34 PM   #7 
BlackberryBetta

Water changes once a week last one was umm Friday I think but I am doing one tonight. I think it is shock from the jump in temperature. But now he isn't eating! Ahhhh what can I do?
Old 10-05-2011, 02:10 PM   #8 
Oldfishlady

In a unfiltered 2gal tank without live plants-water changes need to be twice weekly...1-50% and 1-100% to maintain water quality-provided that the Betta isn't overfed and uneaten food is removed within a reasonable time....

With water changes its important that the temp be within a few degrees between new and old water by checking with a thermometer and with 100% water changes the Betta needs to be re-acclimated to the temp and water chemistry-by adding small amounts of the new dechlorinated tank water to the holding cup over 10-15 min before adding back to the tank...

Always dose the dechlorinater for the full volume of the tank even with partial water changes as a general rule.....

Right now-I would make 50% water changes for 2 days and see if this will perk him up and then get on a schedule of twice weekly thereafter as posted above......hold food for the next 2 days and then offer half feedings for 2 days then get on a schedule of small frequent meals of a good quality varied diet....

Keep us posted.....
Old 10-05-2011, 03:04 PM   #9 
BlackberryBetta

Thanks so much for the help OFL. You help me out so much! I just went to petsmart and got some more conditioner (cause I was out lol) and I turned off the heater and he actually seems to have perked up a tiny bit. I will do a 100% water change tonight and be careful of the temperature and keep you guys posted!
Old 10-06-2011, 02:08 PM   #10 
BlackberryBetta

Thank you very much for helping, but sadly he passed away last night for no real reason..... And wasn't showing hardly any symptoms....oh well. I am used to it.