Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-03-2011, 05:49 PM   #1 
doublek1229

Fin Rot... Help!

I posted on here about 3 weeks ago as my betta fish (4 years old) has advanced fin rot. I dropped the ball on it, and missed it, and the betta lost a big chunk of it's tail. (crown tail betta) I gave it daily water changes with salt and enzyme to help with fin regrowth. When I didn't see improvement or worsening I tried bettafix. It still has a small amount of white near its belly and the fins seem about the same.

The fish is having no trouble swimming or eating. I posted a picture of it, and the condition really hasn't changed.

What should I do? Should I try something for fungal fin rot instead? Thanks!
doublek1229 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 05:51 PM   #2 
doublek1229

http://www.picturetrail.com/sfx/album/view/23146365

See the first pic
Old 10-03-2011, 06:10 PM   #3 
bahamut285

I know you already answered a bunch of these, but please fill out the rest of the questions so we may better help you and your fish. :D

Housing
What size is your tank?
What temperature is your tank?
Does your tank have a filter?
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration?
Is your tank heated?
What tank mates does your betta fish live with?

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish?
How often do you feed your betta fish?

Maintenance

How often do you perform a water change?
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change?
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change?

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters?

Ammonia:
Nitrite:
Nitrate:
pH:
Hardness:
Alkalinity:

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed?
How has your betta fish's behavior changed?
When did you start noticing the symptoms?
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how?
Does your fish have any history of being ill?
How old is your fish (approximately)?

As far as I can tell, if it is this advanced, I would recommend purchasing some API-Tetracycline or Fungus Eliminator. Get some StressCoat+ while you're out shopping as well :)

I hope he gets well soon
bahamut285 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 06:13 PM   #4 
bahamut285

Wait, I helped with this three weeks ago (as you said). O_O...what have you been doing? (or not doing as the case may be).

I will need some contextual updates, but I still stand by the fact that you should move to proper medication instead of conservative treatment.
Old 10-03-2011, 06:17 PM   #5 
doublek1229

1 Gallon Tank (bowl)
80 degrees
No Filter No air stone
No Heat
Lives alone in the tank

I feed my fish twice a day (4 pellets each time) have been feeding him the same food 4 for years with no trouble.

I was doing the water change once every 10 days or so, now after doing daily changes I am doing once every 3 days with the bettafix.

I usually do 100% water changes. Recently I have been adding salt and the enzyme to help the fish heal.

I noticed something was wrong when the fish was slighty tilted sideways. (Pretty far along in fin rot process I believe) and think a small piece of the tall came off. The behavior has not changed nor has the appetite. It is swimming pretty well still, but the tail has not really regrown and there is a small bit of white stuff on the belly and fin area. I am not sure if this is healing, or more rotting? It has not gotten better... but it has not gotten worse.

I hope this helps.
Old 10-03-2011, 06:19 PM   #6 
doublek1229

Quote:
Originally Posted by bahamut285 View Post
Wait, I helped with this three weeks ago (as you said). O_O...what have you been doing? (or not doing as the case may be).

I will need some contextual updates, but I still stand by the fact that you should move to proper medication instead of conservative treatment.

Bahamut I did exactly as you told me. Daily water changes with salt (increased the amount) and the enzyme to help tail regrowth. After 2 weeks did not notice much difference (although no worse). I decided to try the bettafix antibiotic again for one cycle which ends tomorrow. Again the fish seems no better but no worse.

I was just wondering if there is anything else I can do or try... or if I should just continue with the constant water changes and salt/enzyme stress coat treatment.
Old 10-03-2011, 07:37 PM   #7 
bahamut285

The white stuff is probably just excess slime coat. I would move to strong medications such as api-tetracycline. Pick up some stresscoat+ to aid in healing.

For the swimming lopsided-ness, that sounds a little like a swim bladder problem... I'm not sure if you can use Epsom salt alongside harsh medications.

I hope he gets well soon, keep us updated on his progress! He seems to have a strong will to live.
Old 10-05-2011, 04:57 PM   #8 
doublek1229

bahamut... So I just got home from work and stopped by the pet store. I had the api-tetracycline in one hand and the api-sulfa in the other hand when an employee said can I help you.

I said I have a betta with severe fin rot, which one of these is best. And of course he runs off and comes back with "betta revive" and says this is absolutely what you want. It is the best, and these other medications may be to harsh for a one gallon bowl etc etc.

Anyways I am again confused as to what to do...
Old 10-05-2011, 10:32 PM   #9 
bahamut285

I have personally never used Betta Revive, so I cannot say anything good or bad about it... :(

As for the medicine, yes it is much too strong for a 1 gallon bow but you can dilute the solution fairly effectively. One of those packets treats 10 gallons of water so you just need to find another 1 gallon, dose the whole thing, then take out 1/10th of your medicine water.

I am not familiar with smaller imperial units, so I don't know what would be the easiest or closest thing you can use to measure that... I'll go check it out