Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-03-2011, 06:17 PM   #1 
crystalmylovee

Thumbs down Cycling is a pain the butt!

ive been cycling for more than 2 months now, and i feel like im doing everything wrong -.- ammonia always stays at .25ppm.

i need for the cycling to be done already i put my bettas back in the cups they came in :(

Last edited by crystalmylovee; 10-03-2011 at 06:19 PM.
crystalmylovee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 06:38 PM   #2 
LittleBettaFish

What are you using as your source of ammonia? Also check the pH of your aquarium water. Sometimes it can crash during the cycling process, and once it gets below 6.5, the process can slow considerably.

Lastly, are you getting any readings for nitrite and nitrates?
LittleBettaFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 06:49 PM   #3 
crystalmylovee

i'm not using anything x( by source of ammonia you mean like using hardy fish or ammonia from the store?
ph always stays at 8

i don't have tests kits for nitrite and nitrate, i thought since ammonia is too high i wouldn't get readings for neither of those

sorry this is my first time cycling x/
Old 10-03-2011, 06:52 PM   #4 
bahamut285

You NEED to get the rest of the kit. You may have ammonia in your tap water which is giving you false readings.

My tanks are cycled and I always still have a little bit of ammonia from my tap water, it usually goes away though.

What are you using to treat your water? What test kit are you using?
bahamut285 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 07:02 PM   #5 
Banicks

Hi Crystal,

LBF and Baha have both put forward my thoughts already.

I can only recommend patience ontop of a full testing kit - sometimes cycling takes a long time at different stages or other things can be at play.

How stocked is your tank out of curiosity? Are you using a water filter with media or biofilter?
Banicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 07:11 PM   #6 
LittleBettaFish

By source of ammonia, I mean are you adding pure ammonia, using a raw shrimp/fish food, or doing a fish-in with a betta or other fish?

Usually when people do a fishless cycle they want their tank to be able to process 2-4ppm in 24 hours. That way when they add their fish, there be any spikes in ammonia or nitrite because there is more than enough bacteria to cope with the bioload.

If you don't have any source of ammonia being added to your tank, it's not going to cycle. Either your tapwater has ammonia in it, or you have had or have something in there that's causing the reading.

Also, do you have a heater in your tank? The bacteria we want grows best at high temperatures. I'm assuming since it's a betta tank you would have one, but if the water is cold, it's going to take longer to cycle.

Finally, what test kit are you using? Liquid or strips? There is a big discrepancy in the accuracy between them. It's always recommended that you choose liquid reagent test kits as they tend to be much more accurate once calibrated.
Old 10-03-2011, 08:50 PM   #7 
crystalmylovee

I'm using API test kit I only have PH and Ammonia tests as of now
I have had my filter running since I got the tank and I do have a heater but I turned it off since I live in Arizona and the water isnt that cold right now it's at 75 degrees.
I have no fish in it I wanted to do it fishless
I could do fish in but I have two bettas and it's a divided tank
I don't know how to do fish in cycling I tried and my bettas got fin bite
my tap water doesn't have ammonia I test it
I use top fin water conditioner to treat the water
I guess it's not cycling because I don't have an ammonia source?
I HAD my bettas in there but i took them out
I do 25% water changes weekly

Last edited by crystalmylovee; 10-03-2011 at 08:56 PM.
Old 10-03-2011, 09:13 PM   #8 
bahamut285

You need a source of ammonia, what are the bacteria supposed to eat? XD

Re-read the fishless cycling methods. I don't remember what they are specifically because I always cycle fish-in.

I believe people either use pure ammonia or use a decaying shrimp.

Here's the link :D http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=47838
bahamut285 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 09:17 PM   #9 
LittleBettaFish

Yeah, your tank isn't going to cycle unless there's an ammonia source unfortunately. I don't know where the ammonia is coming from if it isn't your tapwater. There could be old food or something else present in the tank that is causing it.

If you've been waiting two months already, I'd just do a fish-in cycle personally, and monitor the ammonia levels daily. However, you will need to purchase a nitrite test as if this spikes it can kill your fish very quickly.

For a fish-in cycle, anytime ammonia or nitrite gets over 0ppm, do a 25-50% water change to ensure your bettas aren't adversely affected (particularly at a pH of 8 as even trace amounts can be harmful).

Also, you can't starve your bacteria even if the test reads 0 so don't be afraid to do large water changes while cycling. Those tests are not sensitive enough to pick up the trace amounts of ammonia that will feed your biological filter. That is why a cycled tank still contains enough ammonia to prevent it from crashing, but not enough to harm your fish.

A fish-in cycle does take longer than a fishless, but if done properly, it shouldn't pose a risk to your bettas.
Old 10-04-2011, 01:04 PM   #10 
crystalmylovee

so should I just restart? or keep the water I have right now and just do a water change before adding my fish in?