Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-04-2011, 03:55 PM   #11 
HatsuneMiku

what size tank are you trying to cycle?

also since u have ur bettas in another tank .. u could put a filter pad in there with them to soak up some ammonia that they are producing (and don't throw away their poo .. just put it in ur cycled tank for ammonia) .. then put it in the tank that's cycling
HatsuneMiku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 05:50 PM   #12 
crystalmylovee

a 10 gallon tank, and they're currently in the cups they first came in not in another tank, I'm thinking of doing the "fish food" method
crystalmylovee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 09:02 PM   #13 
bahamut285

Your bettas have been in the cups for 2 months?

I personally would just cycle them in, do extra water changes and continually check the levels of ammonia :)
bahamut285 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 09:10 PM   #14 
LittleBettaFish

I agree with Bahamut.

As long as you're diligent in checking your parameters and performing necessary water changes, the whole process of cycling shouldn't affect your bettas.

I'm sure they'd be glad to have all the extra space to swim around in.
LittleBettaFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 09:22 PM   #15 
ANHEL123

Guys please don't be too judgemental but i don't cycle. And i saw a lot of people recommendation on this forum that if you have up to 5 or even 10 gall you can go without it. I have 8 bettas and each of them in 2.5 gall. I don't have filters since i had accident betta stuck in it. I also do 100% water changes for5 of them and for 5 of them and for 3 of them i do 1-50% and 1-100% water changes a week. And all of them healthy for long time. I didn't have any problem. My oldest betta about 3.5 years old. So crystal you can put them at least in the bigger tanks and do what i do they will be perfectly fine. I never check the water because i never have any problems. I also use aged water,but i don't think it will make difference.
ANHEL123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 09:37 PM   #16 
LittleBettaFish

Essentially 80% of my betta tanks are uncycled. This is for various reasons such as extremely low pH (for my wilds), tank size and a lack of power sockets for filters and pumps to plug into.

While I think fish do better in a cycled environment due to its stable water chemistry, I have no issue with housing bettas in uncycled tanks. As long as appropriate measures are taken to ensure there is never any trace of ammonia or nitrite present.

Also, I've had a betta swimming around while the ammonia was reading at 8ppm. He was acting perfectly normal and the only reason I checked was because I had noticed his caudal was showing some slight damage.

I do think everyone should own at least some form of water testing equipment. Bettas are extremely hardy fish, as evidenced by the conditions they are often kept in, and as I cannot gauge the quality of my water with my eyes alone, I prefer to have something there to give me that ability.
LittleBettaFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 09:42 PM   #17 
HatsuneMiku

@anhel
your situation is very different .. taking care of 8 2.5 unfiltered tanks it is very different environment and care from a 10g filtered tank.. you won't ever have to cycle since it's impossible for a 2.5 to hold a complete cycle even if it is filtered

a 10g filtered tank will cycle with fish (eventually) .. regardless if you want it to or not (with the exception of replacing filter media monthly and 100% water changes every week).. the best way is to have a controlled environment so that the cycle will run smoothly and to monitor ammonia/nitrite/nitrate levels .. so that once the cycle is complete .. you won't have to do 100% changes ever again (and 100% changes on a 10g is a pain .. you can't just pick it up and dump out the water like you can with 2.5g)

@regarding -- 'just putting the fish in' comments
in-fish cycling can be stressful for some sensitive bettas .. not all bettas will take it well .. if crystal isn't comfortable doing in-fish cycling .. she doesn't have to .. there are other options .. but i do agree with you guys in the fact that they gotta be put in something bigger then the small cups (temporary tupper ware containers .. cut the tops off a gallon of water .. even giant salad bowls would be better then the cups .. =D but along those lines)

@crystal
fish food method is very messy to clean up after and is known to take longer for ammonia to form .. to boost this .. i still suggest using a turkey baster and removing poo from ur bettas temporary homes .. and putting it in the tank .. @_@ i know sounds gross .. but it'll help kick start ammonia production

good luck !! and keep us posted on ur progress =D
HatsuneMiku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 10:55 PM   #18 
bahamut285

I pretty much agree with LBF. I don't bother cycling anything under 5 gallons because it's too much of a pain, so there is definitely nothing wrong with doing so.

I also agree on the fact that your betta won't die the second one molecule of ammonia shows up. Yes, if it is something like 8ppm for a WEEK then there may be some eventual damage, but you shouldn't freak out over the fact that it is 1ppm. Ammonia is fairly common in nature in aquatic environments, so it would be a bit silly if fish didn't evolve to tolerate some of it.

They are hardy, but don't abuse it. Just because people can handle cold weather doesn't mean you shouldn't wear a jacket in the winter, lol.

As for the final decision, it is definitely up to Crystal to decide, we are just offering alternatives and advice. I have personally NEVER EVER had problems with fish-in cycling, even when I forgot about a water change.

I wish you the best of luck Crystal :D
bahamut285 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 09:33 AM   #19 
ANHEL123

I have betta in 1 gall at my work that live in 1 gall for pretty long time I do 100% water changes every 3-4 days. But i always make sure there is no food sink to the bottom of the tank.
Good luck Crystal :)
ANHEL123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 02:22 PM   #20 
crystalmylovee

I wanna do fish in cycle but I'm just really scared i'll do it all wrong again like I did the first time, my bettas got fin rot / fin bite /: so then I did AQ salt water treatments and now their fins are back :) they were really stressed in the 10g tank, they would just stay at the bottom or top and just be there looking dead. if i do it again I wanna do it right this time. so let's say I go out and buy the rest of the test kits I need (nirite & nitrate). where do I go from there? test the water then change it before putting them back in? & also after I put them back what are the right steps to do fish in cycle?
crystalmylovee is offline   Reply With Quote