Housing
What size is your tank? 2.5gal
What temperature is your tank? 78*
Does your tank have a filter? yes
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? no
Is your tank heated? yes
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? live plants

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? pellets and freezedried bloodworms
How often do you feed your betta fish? 2 in the am & 2 in the pm on weekdays. Nothing on weekends.

Maintenance
How often do you perform a water change? twice a week.
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? 50-75%
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? Top Fin Water conditioner

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters?

Ammonia:
Nitrite:
Nitrate:
pH:
Hardness:
Alkalinity:

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? He had a long yellowy stringy poop. (see pic) I got him to flare which helped him poop it out. As he was flaring, I noticed a hole in his dorsal. He's become a tail biter and he's dark in color so this was the first indication of fin rot. As I was shining a flashlight on him, I noticed some raised scaled on his back end on both sides as if something is in there pushing out.
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? It hasn't.
When did you start noticing the symptoms? 20 mins ago
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? Moved him to a clean, heated QT (all my salts and meds are at home and I will be bringing them tomorrow.)
Does your fish have any history of being ill? Nope
How old is your fish (approximately)? I've had him for almost 3 month.

So I just realized that my baby has fin rot an maybe internal parasites. The bump in his hind end bothers me too. So I've read that AQ salt will help with finrot and EP salt +meds will help with parasites. My question is, what do I treat first? I would assume the parasites as with this treatment, I will be changing his water daily which will also slow the progression of the fin rot. What meds do you recomend for the parasite and am I right that it's a parasite?

Also, as a note, I will be upping the amount of water changes once Beast is well.
Attached Images

Foisair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 07:49 PM   #2 
bahamut285

Yellow stringy poop is also a by-product of the freeze dried bloodworms but I would try to perhaps stop feeding Beast bloodworms while he's on ES to confirm that his poop is actually irregular. Feed him pellets for now.

If it is indeed parasites (and the ES doesn't work), then anything from Jungle’s Anti-Parasite Pellets, Jungle’s Parasite Clear Fizz tabs or API General Cure will work nicely.

I personally use API General Cure with great success. I hope Beast gets well soon!
bahamut285 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 12:20 PM   #3 
Foisair

He's been in his QT overnight with a heater and regular treated water. Just brought the ES today. He had a normal looking poo this morning. Should I bother with the ES right away or wait it out a little longer and see how he's feeling? If he doesn't have parasites and is fine internally, I'd like to get him on AQ for the fin rot.
Foisair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 12:44 PM   #4 
bahamut285

If his poop is fine then yeah try to go on and treat his fin rot, but keep an eye on his weight and poop :)
bahamut285 is offline   Reply With Quote