Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-30-2011, 06:05 PM   #1 
Sakura8

Length Versus Gallons in Divided Tank

I know when dividing tanks that the space, namely the length in which a betta has to swim, is just as important as the gallons. So here's my question. Automatically assuming water changes will be frequent, which would be better divided 3 ways:

The Petco bookshelf tank, which is 24" long so each betta would get 8" but it's only 6.6g
or
A regular 10g, which is 20" long so each betta would get a little over 6"

The height is not nearly as important in this case because the bettas going in this tank can't deal with height very well for various reasons (floaty, sinky, heavy tail etc).

What do you guys think? Advice would be most welcomed. :D
Sakura8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2011, 06:34 PM   #2 
Pitluvs

Personally I would go with more horizontal room, so the 6.6g. But that's a tough one. Sure they get 1g more water but less 2" of swimming room in the 10g and its better for ammonia, but harder on swimming up. The other is easier for swimming up, more horizontal room but smaller space.
Pitluvs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2011, 06:43 PM   #3 
Kytkattin

You're not a newbie, I know you do the required water changes, so I vote for the 6.6 gallon as well. Especially because it sounds like these are your special needs fish, no? Ease of swimming is very important in that case.
Kytkattin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2011, 07:44 PM   #4 
Sakura8

Thank you Pitluvs and Kytkattin. :) I was leaning toward the 6.6g myself but I know some people really think the gallons per betta is important too so I wanted some opinions. As they are now, one betta is in 1g, one is in 2g, and the other is currently sulking in 1.75g. So I guess even the 6.6g is an improvement on gallons.

In the unfiltered tanks they're in right now, protein films on the water surface are a big issue so I was thinking of filtering the divided tank. Do you think this would be okay considering these guys can't swim well? I thought maybe an internal filter with a spray bar would be best, rather than the HOB power filter the tank comes with.
Old 10-01-2011, 11:25 AM   #5 
roubidoux

I'm a complete newb, but what about the width (front to back) of the tank? Wouldn't that also be considered horizontal swimming room? I think a typical 10 gallon tank might be 10 inches in width. How wide is the 6.6 gallon tank?
roubidoux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2011, 11:48 AM   #6 
tf1265

I'd go with the bookshelf tank as well. Each fish would get 2.2 gallons of water, correct? I think that's sufficient for a betta, especially snice it sounds like yours are rescues (who may take a while to adjust to all the extra room anyway).

You know what you're doing so you'll do appropriate water changes. I've read that the ideal water depth for bettas is 4 inches of water. I think length is far more important- people who are concerned about the number of gallons per betta are really concerned about swimming space and water conditions, they just don't know it. If you can keep the water clean AND give them more swimming space, gallons are far less important.
tf1265 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2011, 11:55 AM   #7 
fightergirl2710

I like that 6.6! Go fuuur eet!
fightergirl2710 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2011, 11:58 AM   #8 
Sakura8

Roubidoux, the 6.6g is a little over 8" wide so it's not *too* different from a 10g.

So far then, the consensus is the 6.6 bookshelf tank. :) It's 9.25" high so I'll either lower the water level or raise up my sinky guy. When I get it all finished, I'll post a pic.

So many tanks to put together . . . so little time. Thanks everyone!
Old 10-01-2011, 12:02 PM   #9 
Tisia

looks like width wise the petco one is about 8" and a 10 gallon is 10" so the petco one would have about 65 square inches per section and the 10 would be about 66 square inches so actually pretty close to the same amount of floor space. just one would be more of a square and the other is more of a rectangle
Tisia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2011, 12:07 PM   #10 
Sakura8

Best part is the bookshelf one fits on the tank stand so I can move the 10g community tank to my dresser. It'll be so nice not to have all these little kritter keepers. Nice to have a tank light so I can finally see my bettas, too.

Awesome, thanks for doing the math, Tisia. :) My brain spins if I try to multiply anything over 2.