Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-05-2011, 08:42 PM   #1 
adamxaotmic

New 20gal long. Looking for hood/ filter.

I was wondering if anyone knew where I could get a low cost 20gal long hood?
And any suggestions on a filter/ heater. I'd prefer all of it to be as low cost as possible since buying the tank was on an impulse.
adamxaotmic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 10:01 PM   #2 
Thunderloon

iirc a 20 long uses a 29g hood, which are usually fluorescent lighted hoods.

The increase in wattage per gallon from the light isn't enough to worry about, will just help plants out.

Filters you'll be looking at sponge filters for the cheapest bang for buck, they cost about $6.00 per each 5g and $9.00 per each 10g and so on.

Are you planning on doing several male betta, a sorority of girls or some other combination of fish in the tank? This can affect the filter and heater choices.
Thunderloon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 10:25 PM   #3 
adamxaotmic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunderloon View Post
*SNIP*

Are you planning on doing several male betta, a sorority of girls or some other combination of fish in the tank? This can affect the filter and heater choices.
Actually the tank is going to belong to the girlfriend. In compromise of me being able to buy everything, it all ends up as hers.
That's the way it's supposed to work right?

She wants to get a few Black Moor goldfish, and since they are non tropical I don't think I'll need a heater.
But since goldfish are "dirty" fish, I was looking for something of a good power filter.

And since you've suggested that I look for a 29gal hood, I've had a lot more luck than looking for a 20gal long hood. THANKS!

I also saw this. DYI hood that I might consider. I just have lighting questions about using 1 double 24" strip light for plants now.
adamxaotmic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 11:12 PM   #4 
Thunderloon

Goldfish really aren't the focus of this forum or our parent forums...

The two factors that affect goldfish keeping are the lower temperature they must be kept at and the way that temperature affects the natural bacteria that consume their waste.

Filtration for goldfish in a 20g you're probably looking at a couple Aquaclear 30 running at medium re-cycle having weekly main sponge clearings and squishing out the pre-filter sponges every other day. My other choice would be a smaller canister filter such as a C160 or equivalent using a pre-filter intake sponge with the intake at the opposite end from the output.

Goldfish do still need some form of temp control, so having a heater on hand in case the heat fails in the winter would be a good idea.

Lights are heat, so having too much light could also be bad.

I'd suggest referencing this thread on another forum and continuing from there.
Thunderloon is offline   Reply With Quote