Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Breeding Betta Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-03-2011, 02:08 AM   #1 
xxmikeyxx

Grow-Out tanks?

I had a quick question about moving the frys to a grow-out tank. I have a batch of frys that are about 2 weeks old and there's about 50-60+ give or take a few and the 5 gal i spawn them in looks a bit too small for them. I know a lot of people don't advise moving them to a larger tank until about 1 month of age but i see that if i move them it will help them grow faster. But back to my question i like to know how many frys do you guys usually keep PRE grow-out tanks? I have a few more 5 gal tanks, a 10 gal and a 20 gal long i can use to separate them into, to help them grow faster but would like to know how many i should keep in one grow-out tank to have a higher the growth rate.
xxmikeyxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 02:28 AM   #2 
MrVampire181

Id move them to a larger tank (30+ gallons) at around three and a half weeks. It's way easier to maintain one tank than several smaller ones
MrVampire181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 09:27 AM   #3 
xxmikeyxx

I know having one big grow-out tank would be easier to maintain because all the fry are going to be together but i was just wondering what is a good ratio of frys to size of tank? Or is it really a preference thing?
Old 10-03-2011, 10:15 AM   #4 
Oldfishlady

I move fry as young as 2 weeks sometimes....I like to move by size...I leave the smaller fry in the spawning tank and move the bigger fry to the larger tanks or different tanks to separate by size....I generally spawn in 5-10gal NPT in the house and 5gal buckets outside and move the larger fry to a different 10gal NPT and as they grow I move to larger tanks-20gal-25gal-55gal then 75gal NPT's
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 12:49 PM   #5 
indjo
TFK Moderator

I often move fry around 10 - 14 days - I don't really determine the time but more in size of fry - after about 3 - 5mm.
indjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 01:24 PM   #6 
xxmikeyxx

What are your usually number in each grow-out tanks? I didn't mean to get everyone confuse about the question i was asking. I just want to know how many frys everyone keeps in their grow-out tanks at one time. Like if i had a spawn of 100+ frys would that be too large a batch to keep all in a 10gal or should i split it into x2 10 gal tanks? 50 frys per-10 gal or would that still be too small of a tank for a batch of 50 frys? If so how about 50 fry per-x2 20gal tanks? Whats the ratio of numbers of frys to a certain # gal tank?
Old 10-03-2011, 05:54 PM   #7 
Bambi

You could probably move all your fry into the 20long and be fine size wise since you'll be jarring them when they get big enough anyway.
But if you're worried about it and are willing to keep up multiple tanks you could move 30-40 to the 20 long, then leave the smallest ones in the current spawn tank.

I've never had a spawn larger then 60 fry and they grew out fine in my ten gallon because I jarred them early. Larger grow out tanks means you can wait longer to jar them, less water changes easy to maintain and so on.
I've never heard of a specific number of fry to a specific growout.

If you can/want you can go buy a large tub(30gallons or so) and it should be a fine grow out, if you have room and a heater and plants you can throw in there.
Bambi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 06:06 PM   #8 
MrVampire181

I just move the whole batch to the growout. Even tiny ones are moved with their larger siblings to the 30 gallon. Once they get in there they will start to grow more evenly.
MrVampire181 is offline   Reply With Quote