Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Memorials
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-03-2011, 09:44 PM   #1 
Luimeril

Unhappy Chappy Belle

i hate that i have to write this. she was only a year and some months old.... he turned one around the 4th of July. i got her last year, after my first white HMPK, Weiss, passed after a long battle with...... I still dont' know what. a friend of mine knew how hard i tried to save him. shoot, i spent over $50 to get him a big tank and heater! but, all i could do was watch as he withered away to nothing, not even strong enough to reach the top of an inch of water. i sat there after he passed, and looked where his tank was, and suddenly had the urge to set it up again. i scrubbed his tank with scalding water, so hot it turned my skin angry pink, and set it back up, heater and all.

i'd gotten a package from said friend a day later. i'd bought some Red Cherry Shrimp and Java moss from her, as well as some snailies(MTS' and a Gold Mystery Snail who, sadly, didn't survive the trip). i opened the box, pulled out the bags, and checked out my shrimp. there they were, cute little shrimpies, including a HUGE female. then, i saw something in the moss. a little speck, that didn't look like a shrimp, with the biggest speck-eyes. i pulled out the note that came with the box, and saw that she gave me a fry from her green dragon HMPK spawn. i broke down crying.

i quickly floated the bag of shrimp and fry, and an hour later, let her out. even at a month old, she was curious, checking out the plants, moss, and poking at the shrimp. i started research right away on fry raising, and, thanks to a breeder friend of mine, learned what temp would help her grow best, and crushed up some NLS Grow pellets for her and the shrimp. a few days later, i got some BBS in the mail, and started a hatchy-thing for them. i loved Chappy already, and called her my "baby fish" for months, before deciding on a pair of names. "Chappy Belle" if she was a girl, after JRock singer Gackt's dog, who died years ago. "Cloud" if she was a boy, after the Final Fnatasy VII main character.

i took so many pictures of her, showing the girl i got her from how she was thriving. sadly, the shrimp didn't make it, and i was left with one, a little guy i called Scampi. well,one day, Scampi went missing. i was so confused. i'd have seen his body if he died, but i didn't. i checked the cup i had Chappy in while doing her water change, and saw she had an oddly large belly. she'd eaten a shrimp who was about her size! i laughed so hard, and scolded her.

i happily watched as she grew. i was so excited when her dragon scales came in. i squealed with glee when i found out she was a girl. i freaked out when she turned black. i sobbed inside when her dragon scales vanished. i cried openly when she died.

i went last night to move everyone to their new homes on my dresser. one-by-one i toted them over. first was Spy, who swam happily about when i came near. next was Ichi, who looked miffed that i interrupted his sleep. next was Chappy. who was laying on the bottom of her tank, pale and dead. my hand flew to my mouth, and i whispered "my god, Chappy... no..."... i felt numb as i stood there, staring at her un-moving body. my baby girl, the betta i raised from a month-old fry, was dead. i walked back to my bed, sat on it, brought my knees to my chest, and cried into a clean shirt(that ain't so clean no more). i ignored everything for ten minutes, and just cried.

i feel horrid. if i'd paid more attention to her, instead of just passing her not feeling good off to stress from moving, or it being time for a water change, she'd still be with me. my baby girl.... i'd wanted to find her a nice dark blue dragon HMPK to breed her with, toss some of her marble into a blue dragon line. she was the only betta out of all of mine that i wanted to breed, because she was my first breeder betta. her parents were beautiful blue-green dragons.... i don't think i'm gonna get anymore for a while, at least until i can figure out why i lost so many, so fast. i hate posting here, and hate this one the most of them all....

RIP, Chappy Belle. i hope you know, how much you meant to me. you were, truly my favorite....
Luimeril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 10:26 PM   #2 
LittleBettaFish

I'm sorry for your loss Luimeril. I remember seeing pictures of Chappy growing up on UB. She was always such a cutie, especially those funny dragon scales she grew in.

Anyways, don't beat yourself up too badly. Fish are good at hiding the fact they're sick, often until it's too late to do anything. At least she passed quickly, and on her own.
LittleBettaFish is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 11:09 PM   #3 
dramaqueen
Banned

I'm so sorry about Chappy. I know how much she meant to you. She was very special and will always be remembered.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 12:38 AM   #4 
Luimeril

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleBettaFish View Post
I'm sorry for your loss Luimeril. I remember seeing pictures of Chappy growing up on UB. She was always such a cutie, especially those funny dragon scales she grew in.

Anyways, don't beat yourself up too badly. Fish are good at hiding the fact they're sick, often until it's too late to do anything. At least she passed quickly, and on her own.
you were on UB? then you should remember the billions of pictures i posted. heh i wish i still had all those pictures.

i hope whatever's been killing my fish is gone. losing so many, so fast, hurts, and i REALLY don't wanna lose the five i have left. these guys and gals mean the world to me. Lulu's the last of my Original Three, Ichi's the guy i named after my Japanese friend, Spy and Heavy are my DT gals, and Scout's my ugly little guy...
Old 10-04-2011, 02:00 AM   #5 
GreenTea

I can tell you really care about your fish and I'm very sorry for your losses. I just hope with time and some sleep you will feel better <3
GreenTea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 12:42 PM   #6 
Luimeril

it'll take me a while to get over losing her. it always does, because i get so attached to them. thanks for the kind words, everyone. this is why i love this forum.
Old 10-04-2011, 04:26 PM   #7 
vaygirl

RIP Chappy Belle. You saw her grow so much, I can understand why you'd be heartbroken. :( *hugs*
vaygirl is offline   Reply With Quote