Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-03-2011, 10:46 PM   #1 
1983SS454

Newbie with fluval Flora, looking for suggestions

About a week ago I bought and setup a fluval flora, I always wanted to do a live plant tank so I figured that was a decent starting spot. I set it up with the fluval stratum that it came with, the fluval nano filter and a Heater set at about 80 degrees. I wasn't sure how quickly I was going to plant it so I added some pure ammonia and let it run about a week (hope that wasn't a mistake). Well 2 days ago I went to a LFS that had a great reputation and purchased a bunch of plants, and did a huge water change to try to remove the ammonia. I planted
1 Anubis nana
2 Rotala Magenta
2 water wisteria
2 Ludwigia
2 java ferns
1 amazon sword
2 anacharis

I wanted to try to get some Naja grass or some water sprite, and I was hoping to have dwarf hairgrass or ChainSword as a carpet plant.
I'm running the 13 watt fluval light, but was highly considering ordering and installing a 2nd light, for 10 hours a day.

This kit came with the small C02 kit that I was unsure if i was going to use, I was looking more into using Excel after It settles in and I can remove my Anacharis. The kit also comes with Nutrafin plant gro, is this a good product to use for these plants? Also I put Flourish root tabs in with the stem plants.

Ant help would be appreciated, I hope I'm going in the right direction.
But feel overwhelmed
Tony
1983SS454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 12:36 AM   #2 
PewPewPew

You're doing fine, dont worry. Personally, I dont use or like to use excel, but if its the difference between using co2 in a small tank with fish or not, I would use the excel since its safer. It'll kill the anacharis and perhaps even hurt the sprites (personal experience), but that last bit may have been a fluke.
PewPewPew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 06:06 PM   #3 
1983SS454

Ok, cool. Figured I would have forgotten something important.... I also have a decent portion of the top covered in Frogbit...

One problem I noticed is that normally my tap water is about 7.6 PH, with this stratum it goes down to 6.4.... Also my ammonia is dropping, it was around 0.50 today and my Nitrite showed today for the first time at 0.25.
Old 10-04-2011, 07:40 PM   #4 
PewPewPew

Hurray for cycling! :D

Bettas arent fussy about their pH, provided it doesnt fluctuate rapidly while theyre in the water. The only plant that may dislike the pH change is the sprite, which generally hates all kinds of change, and may get "mopey" and possibly die a bit.
PewPewPew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 12:37 PM   #5 
1983SS454

Hmmmmm, now today I have between .50-1.0 of ammonia, and 0 Nitrite. Interesting