So I'm still reeling after Claude's death, and I want to try to make some sense of it. I had him for about two days, and I did see a shift in his behavior, but I assumed it to be from stress or that the water was too cold.
Here were some symptoms:
- Saturday night he would not leave his log, AT ALL. He came up once every hour or so to get air and then would retreat to it.
- He wasn't as active Saturday night/Sunday morning, seemed lethargic.
- Never ate anything, even when he seemed pretty content. Didn't even blink twice at flakes or pellets.
And now here are some of my deductions, although none of them really make sense to me:
- The water was too cold that he couldn't live with it. I mean, they JUST turned the heat on in my dorm yesterday morning. Even with the lamp over the tank, I was only able to keep it at 72-73 degrees. But I didn't think two days of exposure to that temperature would kill him. My friend's betta lives in an unheated tank and has been fine, even though her room is just as cold as mine
- Starvation. He never looked too skinny for me, but it's a possibility. I can't say I knew when he was last fed at the store, but he never wanted anything I gave him.
- Something else... I'm no expert on betta diseases, but when I got him I made sure he looked healthy. There was no ich, his fins were perfect, his eyes clear, and his scales were fine. He looked like a healthy betta, and I still don't understand how he could have died that quickly.
The only thing I wasn't able to check that I was curious about were the water parameters. I don't know what the pH/ammonia levels were, but I was going to buy the testing strips when I got my paycheck later this month. I don't know if the pH or ammonia levels were off.
So what can anyone tell me from this? My friends said the best way to get over his loss is to get another one, but I still want answers for Claude's death. I don't want to make the same mistake twice. I should be getting a new guy this weekend, and hopefully my heater will be in by then (if not, I have another one). What can anyone tell me from this?