Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-05-2011, 07:21 AM   #1 
Hooperman42

Can't believe my filter change!

Well guys have had my 20 gallon up for about 6 weeks. Went through an eternity of a bacteria bloom and it finally settled down about two weeks ago asof yesterday it was crystal clear and gorgeous. The filter had not been changed and was getting to the point of not flowing well at all. It was of course covered in healthy bacteria from nearly two months but I figured well perhaps there is enough in the gravel by now so changed it. Awoke this am to the signs of an early bloom, grrrrrrr cloudy darn!!!!! Would expect the velvet milky fog to really come in soon. Oh no!!!!!!!! It's only a beta and three corys and This was the weekend we felt all levels perfect to add a few more corys for my eight year old. I'll hit it with the small bottle of tetra start up which dropped all my nitrates at the suggestion of a very professional fish store. They k ow what they are talking about! So maybe 25 percent water change if at all and hit it with the bottle of live bacteria. Perhaps that will reduce what I expect to ne another many weeks of frustration ahead. Guess I should not have changed the big green filter. Any other ideas? Other than...duh! Thanks.

Last edited by Hooperman42; 10-05-2011 at 07:36 AM.
Hooperman42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 08:07 AM   #2 
Myates

Is it a sponge filter? You don't replace those.. you just do a cleaning of them every so often by swishing/squeezing it in tank water to "clean" it without replacing it and losing the bacteria.
Myates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 08:27 AM   #3 
Hooperman42

Cartridge

Cartridge water was flowing around it not through it but knew bacteria would be hurt, any solutions now?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myates View Post
Is it a sponge filter? You don't replace those.. you just do a cleaning of them every so often by swishing/squeezing it in tank water to "clean" it without replacing it and losing the bacteria.
Hooperman42 is offline   Reply With Quote