Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-04-2011, 07:52 AM   #1 
leciejo

Help quick

Edward my half moon betta is acting very strange. I have had him about three months. He was in a half gal. bowl and seemed to do fine, but feeling bad after reading, I bought a 5 gal. tank with filter. I slowly acclimated him and he did great for about a week. Now, he is not eating, almost never swims, lays on the bottom, or hangs (vertically) at the top. What is going on??
Thanks I need quick help! sherry
leciejo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 08:00 AM   #2 
Myates

Welcome to the forum, and sorry to hear about your Edward.

Is the filter on strong? Did you baffle it? They can't take strong currents of any type, which may lead to him hanging out in certain areas to stay away, as well as causing a lot of stress.
What is the temp?
Do you use conditioner?
What do you feed him normally and how much?
When did you last do a water change and how much? New tanks can have ammonia spikes when starting out if you didn't cycle the tank. If you have test strips, test the water and let us know what the results are.

Laying on the bottom, not eating could mean a few things. Does he have any other signs of illness/stress such as gasping for air, loss of coloring, patches of cottony like substance, specs of white that look like grains of salt, are his fins clamped?

Is there a way you could post a picture?
Myates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 08:36 AM   #3 
leciejo

I think the filter is the problem. I did not know to "Baffle it" and he does seem stressed with the water pressure. I have looked for a way to turn down the filter but could not find one. I feed him strictly betta pellets. No change in outer appearance, just very lethargic and swims less. I have been turning the filter off and only running it for about a half hour twice a day. Doesn't seem to help. How do I baffle it? Water temp may also be a problem. Yes I treated the water with a conditioner. He was fine for the first week with the new tank. I really think the filter must be the answer. It came with the setup. Should I just leave it off and change the water weekly? Thanks so much.
Old 10-04-2011, 08:46 AM   #4 
leciejo

Baffling?

I found a website mentioned here for a soda bottle to help break up the current for my 5 gal. Betta tank. I am going to do this as soon as I can, but how long should it take for Edward to start eating and feeling normal? Thanks, sherry
Old 10-04-2011, 08:56 AM   #5 
Myates

It could take a couple days if it is stress related. Each betta is an individual and they take stress differently. I forgot to reply in the pm you sent about the eating - it could be due to stress, and they can survive a week or more without food. I would grab a jar of garlic (no added flavors and such) or fresh cloves. You want to either soak the pellets you are about to feed him for a moment right before you feed him in the juice (for fresh garlic, crush up the cloves and mix it with a little bit of tank water and soak the pellets in that). Just the few you are about to feed.
Garlic juice acts as a hunger stimulant for them, and normally does the trick. If he still won't eat, give him another day and try again. Keep us updated.
Myates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2011, 10:28 AM   #6 
dramaqueen
Banned

How often are you changing the water? You'll have to change 100% of the water if it's not cycled.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote