Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-03-2011, 10:08 PM   #1 
Bloeduwedd

Question Oh my...

So I was in Petsmart the day before yesterday picking up a few supplies for my new rat, and I just had to look at the bettas. I saw a gorgeous female and decided to pick her up to add to my sorority, replacing Viola. I've been floating her in the tank so my other girls can get used to her, and as she's colored up a bit I've noticed... she looks a LOT like a wild type betta. Is it possible to get those from a pet store, of all places?
Bloeduwedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 10:13 PM   #2 
LittleBettaFish

She's probably just a wild-type coloured female. That colour is very common in plakats.

It's actually very striking when they colour up. I always wanted to put one in a blackwater style set-up.

It would be extremely rare to have found a wild species of betta in a shipment of domesticated splendens.
LittleBettaFish is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 10:20 PM   #3 
Bloeduwedd

I didn't think so lol. She's really quite pretty, but still stresses easily, and is small, so I'm not going to put her in the sorority yet. I picked up a cambodian CT for the sorority as well, and she's TINY. I'm keeping them both out until they get bigger. I'm concerned about little miss wild-color though... She seems to have developed vertical breeding stripes without being near any males for the last 48 hours O.o If nothing is done. she'll be okay, right? She would make a pretty pair with Magico, but I am in no way set up to breed, or ready!
Old 10-03-2011, 10:25 PM   #4 
darkangel216

No worries, some females bar up like that. Mine did that instead of the stress stripes, and she was never near a male at that point.
darkangel216 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 10:33 PM   #5 
LittleBettaFish

One of my females is an absolute dominatrix and she always swims around with vertical bars.

Some of mine bar up even when carded.

It's not anything to be concerned about.

Your cambodian CT sounds nice. I wish I could find colours other than red and blue on the females they sell here.
LittleBettaFish is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 01:21 AM   #6 
Bloeduwedd

Okay, good :) Maybe she'll be able to hold her own against the bigger girls then, but I'm not risking it yet lol.

I was actually surprised to find a female CT at all... usually they just have VT girls in the stores here. We usually have a decent variety of colors though. Heck, Viola was even purple O.O Surprised the heck out of me to see a purple betta in a pet store, and I was so sad when she passed.