Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-04-2011, 09:36 AM   #1 
Laki

Indian Almond Leaf- Question!!

My order finally came (only waiting eagerly for 3 weeks). I got Indian ALmond Leaves from Malaysia.. o.o They're the size of a man's hand!!! My tank is 2.5-3 gals so how much would you suggest I add?

Ps, it's not for breeding (obviously bc the only other female animal in the house besides me is the bunny) I got the leaves to make the water more like home :) I like the brown pond look too! ^.^

I read somewhere that one regular sized IAL would be good for 3 weeks in a 10 gal... But these are huge and my tank is small!

Anyone able to help out!? Thanks in advance!
Laki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 09:58 AM   #2 
Laki

http://www.indianalmondleaves.com/aquariums.php I found this site for anyone else wondering about them!
Old 10-04-2011, 10:02 AM   #3 
1fish2fish

For 3 gals I'd put half a leaf in. Usually I throw a whole one in there but your water will be coke if you do that. I do that with fish who need to heal up. Just to give the water a tint half a leaf should do.
Posted via Mobile Device
1fish2fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 10:08 AM   #4 
Laki

Thanks! I just cut half the leaf into 2 peices and blocked the bubbles from the aerator with it. I figure I can break the bubbles that come to spread across his surface while also helping to distribute the tannins. He already loves it ^-^ He's been picking at it already!
Old 10-05-2011, 04:21 PM   #5 
HatsuneMiku

just a side note .. since i learned the hard way ..

IAL's stink after being sumberged .. and they make ur water stinky .. and filter (if u have one) stinky .. it's kinda smells like stale mud/dirt .. but it's normal .. (i flipped out and though something was rotting .. cus it kinda smells that bad .. but it might just be because more sensitive to bad smells)
HatsuneMiku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 04:23 PM   #6 
1fish2fish

I don't notice any smell in my tanks and I use IAL all the time.
Old 10-05-2011, 04:53 PM   #7 
Banicks

For bettas, put a 1-2 sq inch piece (or a quarter of a leaf) into each 1 gallons (4 litre) tank. So Laki, for your tank 1 leaf should be fine (no harm in overdosing IAL).

For usual aquarium (with tetras, gouramis, arrowanas, apistos etc), put 2-3 leaves per 25 gallons (100 litres) of water for 14-21 days. Simply put the leaves into the aquarium. After 1-2 days the leaves will be water-logged and sink. Apart from their benefical effects on the water, they will tan the water slightly (to a clear amber) and provide a very natural stream-bottom look to your aquarium. Alternatively, you can boil the leaves to make blackwater extract and dose when you need. Soaking the leaves in a bucket for a week will produce a similar result.

Taken from my supplier on eBay Amy's Ketapang Inc (I recommend to anyone, the most professional eBayer I've every come across and very helpful)

http://stores.ebay.com.au/Amys-Ketapang-Inc/_i.html?_fsub=2

Additionally, I've never had any smells caused by IAL use. Perhaps they were treated with something by customs or not the real deal?
Banicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 04:55 PM   #8 
HatsuneMiku

i might be putting too much leaf/g in mine .. i used 2 in a 1g and let it brown for 2 days before a w/c .. is this too much ?..

mine are from amy's too can't be contaminated

Last edited by HatsuneMiku; 10-05-2011 at 04:57 PM.
Old 10-05-2011, 04:57 PM   #9 
1fish2fish

No such thing as too much.
Old 10-05-2011, 05:00 PM   #10 
HatsuneMiku

T_T .. duno what that smell is comming from .. since he was in a epsom salt qt tank with nothing but the ial leaves and betta

but then i could just be more sensitive to the woodsy wet tree dirt smell ..