Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-05-2011, 06:59 PM   #11 
Laki

I like the tree smell, as long as it's normal. Not that mine does currently:/ But the driftwood, when it was new, smelled a bit. It's all for the good of the fish! And I LOVE the pond water look!! He seems happier with it. I guess mine are resting on plants or something but they haven't sunk yet.. Still keeping the bubbles from spreading! It works great! :)
Laki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 07:05 PM   #12 
Banicks

@Hatsune: There is no harm in overdosing the IAL to my knowledge. I think more than anything it would just be a waste of IAL. Perhaps the Betta would form an immunity to it if done often and would require an overdose amount to have the same effect a to a correct dose in other Betta?

It depends, the only way Amy's would get contaminated is from customs treating them without advising you. Amy told me that if I get a call from customs saying it needed treatment, tell them no and destroy. She would have then sent me another batch. But I highly doubt customs would have done that without advising you first.

I love the wood smell myself, but it does go away once it's been in the tank a few day. So I don't think it is that.

Im thinking the smell may be a combination of the ES and IAL. I will let you know, because my rescue is in his gallon hospital tank with ES and IAL as of yesterday!
Banicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 07:11 PM   #13 
roubidoux

I was looking at the IAL on ebay--what do the different grades mean? Is it important to get grade A or does it matter?
roubidoux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 07:13 PM   #14 
Laki

I never noticed different grades myself.. But grade A in anything is usually a better quality. For IAL I think they only dry out regular leaves so the tannins should be mostly the same :/ Nothing is added to it. Maybe the grades mean size?
Laki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 08:04 PM   #15 
Banicks

She actually explains the grades on her eBay site.

It's to do with leaf size, quality (broken, torn etc) and how they have been found (in the shade, half half, out in the sun).

I purchased 100 of A+, it was still about half the price ($15 inc P&H) of my PFS who stocks an Aussie branded name (25 for $25).
Old 10-05-2011, 09:01 PM   #16 
cherrybello

Quote:
Originally Posted by Banicks View Post
I purchased 100 of A+, it was still about half the price ($15 inc P&H) of my PFS who stocks an Aussie branded name (25 for $25).
Whoa, I didn't know that you could import IAL, or that shops in Australia stocks them. I am living in the wrong city... if I wanted tannins, I always had to use black water extract... I know how strict our customs can sometimes be, because I travel out of the country quite often, and I get a few things confiscated in luggage when I fly back in, and I had some stuff confiscated that I eBayed too.
cherrybello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 09:11 PM   #17 
Banicks

Hi cherrybello, our customs are pretty tight when it comes to most living things. I was relatively concerned about importing them as a result, I held little hope of them getting through until I found Amy on eBay.

She goes into great details about herself, the process she undertakes and also customs procedures (she is very well versed on how to get her leaves through customs in Australia). Once you purchase leaves she will send you an email detailing what will happen.

The email is extremely professional and helpful. She will even go so far as to tell you that if there is an issue with the leaves at customs, they will contact you personally and probably ask you to 'treat' them, this will destroy the good qualities of the leaf including tannins. Instead, she will recommend that you ask them to destroy the leaves, and then you let her know. She then sends another batch of the same for free.

I didnt have any problems with customs. The leaves I received were in a zip lock bag clearly labelled with scientific name, as well as a free gift, in a box. It was opened by customs for inspection, they left documentation to indicate it passed inspection.

All in all, she has done her research extremely well for them to come from Singapore, through customs and to me within a week. For $15, that's a deal of the century IMO.

In regards to Sydney based aquarium selling IAL, I thought it was quite rare of a find also. It's because the aquarium I bought Victor from is mainly run by guys with direct contacts in Asia for their Betta fish, they're have the best setup of Bettas in individual 2g tanks for sale. When I was there they had new stock come in via plastic cups - but considering it just got there it can be forgiven. (Aquaristic in Sydney, if you're ever in town)

I went to the website of the IAL company direct, but they were still very expensive, leading me to search elsewhere and comming across Amy.

I can only say finally, I highly recommend getting your IALs from her.

Last edited by Banicks; 10-05-2011 at 09:14 PM.
Old 10-05-2011, 10:06 PM   #18 
HatsuneMiku

@bannicks

i don't think US is strict on IAL's .. as i didn't have any calls or e-mails from customs when i got them from e-bay .. they were in the bag labeled and packaged nicely .. exactly the way you have said it .. amy's great !!

Im thinking the smell may be a combination of the ES and IAL. I will let you know, because my rescue is in his gallon hospital tank with ES and IAL as of yesterday!

now i'm thinking this combination could be the reason too .. i put 2 ial leaves in with 2teaspoon/g epsom salt when yuki was in qt i hope your rescue feels better soon T_T
HatsuneMiku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 10:14 PM   #19 
Banicks

HatsuneMiku - lucky USA peoples! Australian customs are a nightmare. When I went to Japan I was given a Samurai Sword as a present...they checked everything! I even declared 0.o Never walked quite the same way after that....

Thanks, I hope your lil dude pulls through well too!
Old 10-06-2011, 03:35 AM   #20 
HatsuneMiku

omg banicks @_@ that must have been horrifying .. i always forget to declare stuff when i come back into US (like alcohol and tobacco and stuff .. not sure if i even have to as long as it's under the max amount i think @_@ .. not sure .. but i never bothered to fill out that form thing when the stewardess pass them out on the plane) .. haven't had any second looks so far .. ^_^ *knocks on wood*

my lil dude is been in and out of qt for months .. hes in clean water now .. i figure 2 weeks in epsom salt and IALs shoud be enough .. and he's finally pooing normally .. still a little swollen D= ...and floatie @_@ .. duno why .. i think i'll just have to keep him in there till he can swim down and not floatie right back up ..
HatsuneMiku is offline   Reply With Quote