Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-04-2011, 04:15 PM   #1 
kmargold

Question Help with Ripped Fins

Hey guys. I have recently divided my ten gallon tank into two 5 gallon halves. I have a larger betta on the left side and a baby(ish) betta on the right side. I noticed that since I introduced the new smaller betta, my bigger one's fins have been torn some. I don't think it is due to flaring too much because I rarely see them flare at each other (happened twice at most), but I could be wrong. Could the bigger fish be stressed out that his tank is smaller? Or is he a tail biter? Possibly scared of the much smaller fish? I'm just kinda stumped as to what the problem could be. Both are eating healthy and acting normally. Any help/suggestions appreciated! Thanks!
kmargold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 04:25 PM   #2 
mjoy79

Do you have a current picture you can post? If it looks like big chunks are missing, he could be biting. If it looks more shredded it could be something in his tank that his fins are rubbing against. usually plastic sharp plants can do that.
mjoy79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 06:51 PM   #3 
Myates

Aww.. fin splitting can be caused by flaring, but since you said he wasn't, then it could be from a number of things such as; sharp/rough/pointy decorations, un-baffled/fast filter, rough substrate where he runs his fins along while scrounging for food, using a net to take him out for cleaning, etc etc. Their fins are like tissue paper, so it happens very easily.
Fins tearing usually isn't due to stress.. they tend to clamp their fins close when stressed.
Just keep up on the weekly water changes to avoid fin rot and he should be getting better. Check your decorations, if you believe something could rip a panty hose, then it could easily rip their fins. Check to see if the filter is too strong (if you use one).
And these types of plastic plants are very notorious for ripping fins.. grr
Attached Images

Myates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 08:19 PM   #4 
Mars788

Indeed. They might not rip right away, but that doesn't necessarily mean the plants will never cause rips. Grr.
Mars788 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 05:36 PM   #5 
kmargold

I don't have a picture at the moment, but it's not big chunks. It's more of a crown-tail looking effect.

Anyway about the plants. That seems like it could be a problem. One of my plants on his side looks exactly like that. I just went over and took it out, so that problem is fixed. My suspicion is that now that I realize it, that plant was right in the corner of the tank and he always swims behind it and around it. Most likely caught his fins... poor little guy.. I hope he doesn't hate me :(

The tank I have is a 10 gallon divided, and his side is the side with the filter. It is not baffled, however it is approved for up to 10 gallons, so shouldn't it be okay? It's not like I'm running a 30-50 gal filter on a 10 gal tank. If that could be a problem too, I can baffle it. But I wouldn't want to if I didn't have to. A lot of the baffles look ugly in my opinion.
kmargold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 06:01 PM   #6 
Myates

Glad you figured out that the plants were tearing them up. The filter only you can judge. If it is fast flowing, moving them when they are trying to swim then it should be baffled (could put a sponge inside the outflow to hide it some). If he avoids anywhere it flows, then that is less room for him to have. Just keep an eye on whether or not his fins keep shredding from it.
Myates is offline   Reply With Quote