Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-09-2011, 02:37 PM   #1 
l0ngb0arder

Tank Setup

Hi Folks,

New to betta fish area. I have a ADA 7 gallon(12in x 12in x 12in) planned for housing a betta fish and maybe a few neon tetra, snails, shrimps. I have a few questions:

1. Plan on having a few plants in the tank. Has anyone use this "Finnex Aquarium Nano Refugium Cliplight?" It's a 26watt light fixture. Would this be enough light for any type of plants including the most demanding?
2. A jager 25 watt heater be sufficient for a 7 gallon?
3. Getting a piece of driftwood. What type is good? How long should it be soak before putting in the tank?
4. Tank cycling, can I put plants in the tank while it's cycling?

Thanks,

K
l0ngb0arder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 03:17 PM   #2 
PewPewPew

I would not put that many fish in your 7 gallon. Its a bit much to have all of those in there, considering tetras need to be in groups of 4+ and can grow to be over 1.5inches.
Reconsider your stock before anything else.
PewPewPew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 05:50 PM   #3 
Cravenne

1. I haven't used that light so I can't speak to it.

2. 25W heater should be sufficient, yes. I think those are rated up to 10G..

3. A lot of people pick up wood from their local areas..usually it's ok, but I've heard horror stories. I'd advise buying some wood from your local fish store..this comes weighted a lot of the time and soaking it isn't necessary.
That said, if you're going wood hunting..just try to identify the wood and read up on it's properties..you wouldn't want anything toxic leeching into the tank water.
The length of time for soaking really depends on the type of wood. Change out the water daily until it stays clear and the wood sinks.
4. Yes plants can be put in right away.
Cravenne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 05:58 PM   #4 
turtle10

Quote:
Originally Posted by l0ngb0arder View Post
Hi Folks,

New to betta fish area. I have a ADA 7 gallon(12in x 12in x 12in) planned for housing a betta fish and maybe a few neon tetra, snails, shrimps. I have a few questions:

1. Plan on having a few plants in the tank. Has anyone use this "Finnex Aquarium Nano Refugium Cliplight?" It's a 26watt light fixture. Would this be enough light for any type of plants including the most demanding?
2. A jager 25 watt heater be sufficient for a 7 gallon?
3. Getting a piece of driftwood. What type is good? How long should it be soak before putting in the tank?
4. Tank cycling, can I put plants in the tank while it's cycling?

Thanks,

K
7 gallons is only okay for one betta. If you want to have tetras, snails, and shrimp, I would upgrade to a 10 or even 15 if you can. Right now you can only have snails or shrimp.
turtle10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 06:31 PM   #5 
PewPewPew

Do not get just any old wood. It will rot in your tank. Drift wood is usually made of extreamly hard woods which will not rot.

Wood from just wherever also has probably been exposed to chemicals and has all sorts of gross critters in it.

I highly advise you not to get anything of that nature and instead buy it in a store.

I also advise you to not put the plants in the tank until they've been washed off well and, especially if from an online dealer, put them into quarentine to avoid any critters from being exposed to your new tank. They might be invasive and a pain in the rear to get rid of.

Last edited by PewPewPew; 03-09-2011 at 06:34 PM.
Old 03-10-2011, 02:02 PM   #6 
l0ngb0arder

Thanks for the input.

I will only have 1 male betta then. 2 or 3 shrimps and snails oaky with the betta?

Would buying driftwood online like amazon be okay?

Also getting plants from other hobbiest be fine?
Old 03-10-2011, 02:20 PM   #7 
PewPewPew

Yeah, those are usually great places. Just quarentine the things you get in water because sometimes things live in them and on them.

That sounds great- a betta, some shrimp and a snail will be wonderful and just fine. Make sure you have the correct foods for the shrimp and the snail- some are picky and sometimes your betta will eat their food...or the shrimp!
Old 09-08-2011, 03:53 PM   #8 
l0ngb0arder

Finally got my tank setup. It's in the cycling process now. How do you post pics?

Thanks,

K
Old 09-08-2011, 07:06 PM   #9 
PewPewPew

If you want to take them from your hard drive, go to "advanced" under the reply box and click the paper clip.

If youre taking them from a place like photobucket, use the little yellow icon in the message box with the mountain and sun.
Old 09-09-2011, 04:09 PM   #10 
l0ngb0arder

Cool..Here are some pics of the setup...

Name:  Picture 003.jpg
Views: 228
Size:  63.6 KB

Name:  Picture 004.jpg
Views: 230
Size:  66.4 KB

Name:  Picture 005.jpg
Size:  70.1 KB

Name:  Picture 006.jpg
Size:  75.6 KB