Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-20-2014, 02:56 PM   #1 
hubbley

Question Need some help with my filter baffle.

My boyfriend noticed last night that the filter was hardly filtering. Just a little trickle into the sponge. We replaced the pantyhose around the suction portion (icky icky) and WHOOSH super strong filter. It created quite the current and little Norman was not enjoying it.

Anyways, now that the flow has returned to normal, our baffle setup is failing. We have cut section of water bottle and a sponge like in the thread, all held up with tape. Only one end is taped because I can't get the other end to stick to the back of the filter ramp thing. The sponge is too heavy, pulls the water bottle forwards towards the flow, water runs over the edge of the bottle, wets the tape, tape becomes useless. There has to be a better way. I've including pictures of what we have done to keep it attached at the moment.

Side question: Those bubbles. I don't think Norman is making those. I guess I can't be sure, but those don't seem like his at all. The filter hasn't made those before. Is it just the water the water is flowing?
Attached Images

hubbley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2014, 03:53 PM   #2 
TiffanyP

I'm not entirely certain how your particular filter works, but the part that sticks down into the water where the water comes in at, does that come off? I have one that does, and what I did was shove a small piece of filter sponge down into the bottom of it with some tweezers. It baffled the flow really well and also doubled as a second filter of sorts too. Not sure if that would work for you, but it's an idea :)

Edit: Where you have the pantyhose wrapped around it - that's where I put the piece of sponge.
TiffanyP is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2014, 03:59 PM   #3 
hubbley

That part doesn't come off, but I've considered trying to put a piece of sponge around that part. When we replaced the pantyhose we used the middle section, not the end seam like we did before, and we had to use three layers of that before the suction relaxed.

Even with that the actual flow coming out of the filter is strong, which is why I'm having trouble with the sponge. It doesn't seem like it would do anything for the flow if I replaced it with pantyhose, but I can try when I do water change this weekend.
Old 06-20-2014, 07:31 PM   #4 
hubbley

Any other suggestions on how to keep my baffle attached to the filter? Or a better way of baffling if something else has worked for you guys?
Old 06-21-2014, 05:12 PM   #5 
hubbley

It's mostly the tape that bothers me. It's super ugly, but mainly it's the fact that it peels off and I keep having to press it and replace it.
What do you guys use?
Old 06-22-2014, 08:51 AM   #6 
blueridge

Don't know if you have seen this thread yet but there are some ideas on here on how to baffle your filter. Hope this helps!

http://www.bettafish.com/showthread....=Filter+Baffle
blueridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2014, 08:55 AM   #7 
hubbley

Yes, thank you, I did see that thread. I used that to make the baffle. I just can't really seem to get the water bottle to stay in place.
Old 06-22-2014, 09:17 AM   #8 
William Zhong

i think, you can remove your filter, it will makes our fish stress, the wave make fish not comfort, and broke the bubblenesh
William Zhong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2014, 09:21 AM   #9 
William Zhong

betta fish have a labyrinth lungs, it means our betta can live in low oxygen water, because they taking breath by go up to the surface
William Zhong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2014, 09:53 AM   #10 
blueridge

I have the same filter too and I shoved some sponge into the intake tub and took a piece of sponge and put it right where the water comes out into the tank, it stays in place with the filter hood. It greatly reduced my outflow.
blueridge is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
baffle, filter