Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Breeding Betta Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-04-2011, 04:52 PM   #1 
Creat

Genetic advice on coppers needed!

This is a question to all you genetic experts at least to those who know more then me. In my experience everytime I breed coppers who show no red to a fish with no red in their history I get reds in my coppers. Is it possible to get a copper with no red or are those two genes connected together?
Creat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 12:43 AM   #2 
indjo
TFK Moderator

It is possible to get "clean" copper..... wait on, what do you mean "red in copper".... To get that copper look they need that tint of red (not red as in red wash - my avatar). This is why I avoid mixing my copper to anything having the slightest red genes.

Without red, coppers will look sort of steel - silverish, which IMO is a different line of coppers - In the past I achieved them from re-breeding the non red ones, incl. the metallic light green. But red will always show on a few of them.

The copper gene we have (in my area) today is very different to those we had in 2005. Today they often throw some platinums, black copper, as well as the usual green. I think this is because they are often used as a mix to create new dragon lines.

This past 2 years of breeding is very confusing because it defies most things I thought I knew about coppers...... maybe I actually never knew anything about them...LOL
indjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 11:07 AM   #3 
Creat

Lol that explains why all the babies I get from a copper have red at least I can see the red come in first sometimes its covered by the copper or another color later on. I try to only breed the ones that show no red in them plus the ones that have no red in their history but occasionally I still get reds. And for clarification the coppers I am interested the most are copper marbles, and I am trying to not get red in them which has been proven difficult.
Creat is offline   Reply With Quote