Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-04-2011, 06:40 PM   #1 
Campbell

Treatment suggestions?

I posted this in the wrong thread earlier. Normally I would wait for a mod to move it or something, but I really could use some fast advice.

One of my fish developed a white spot on his dorsal fin. It's not ick, and I hadn't thought it was a fungus because it was not spreading. Therefore, I assumesd it was an injury of somesort. I began doing 100% water changes everyday. This has gone on for the past week with no improvemtnet or growth of the spot. However, today it finally got worse. It was mainly on one side of the fin, but now it is straigh through. I've been treating aq salt, but that obviously isn't working. I have some quick cure, but I don't know if it is worth while. Suggestions?

These pictures are really crappy, but they might give you an idea about what I'm dealing with.

The growth originally appeared flat, but today it is starting to look cottony.
Campbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 08:40 PM   #2 
Campbell

I just wanted to add that he is still as active as ever and eating well.
Old 10-05-2011, 01:33 AM   #3 
Pataflafla

Is it raised? Maybe lymphocitis? Or it could be fungal, but I would think aq salt would have helped with that.
Pataflafla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 02:54 PM   #4 
Oldfishlady

I agree it looks like Lymphocystis, google that and see if that is what you are seeing on your Betta....

If so, its viral and no treatment, however, generally its not fatal either unless it impedes daily living and the location of it....it should not cause any problems, but watch for secondary infection....

Lymphocystis-viral-it has to run it course-it may or may not grow larger, pop-ooze whitish, bloody looking substance-fall off-may or may not return...being viral...it hard to say..... unpredictable......

Since it is starting to look cottony-I would do a 10 day aquarium salt 2tsp/gal treatment....best done in a small QT container so you have better control and to make the 100% daily water changes easier...also premix the salt in a 1gal jug of dechlorinated water-this will make both water changes and correct dosage easier......

Keep us posted.....
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 04:29 PM   #5 
Campbell

I've looked at pictures, and I'm guessing that's what it is. What causes it? From what I read on info pages, it sounds like the introduction of new materials or infected water. Is this true? I haven't really added any new decor and he is housed alone. I don't think it is the water because I change it frequently, and my other two fish get water from the same faucet. Therefore, they would have it too. Could it be introduced from frozen bloodworms? That's all I can really think of that might have been caring the viris...
Old 10-05-2011, 04:45 PM   #6 
Oldfishlady

Its a virus and it comes from spores...hard to say when/how your Betta came in contact.......but my best guess-most likely from the fish farm he came from...
Old 10-05-2011, 04:49 PM   #7 
Campbell

And it could remain inactive for a year and a half? I'm glad its probably not my fault. OFL, you suggested aq salt, but I've also read that epsom salt could help reduce the swelling. Is this true? Thanks for all your help!
Old 10-05-2011, 04:56 PM   #8 
Oldfishlady

There is no treatment for this virus....the aquarium salt treatment is for a secondary infection since the area looks cottony per your post...
Old 10-05-2011, 08:42 PM   #9 
Campbell

Thanks for the answers.

Has anyone else dealt with Lymphocystis? I know it can be unpredictable, but I'm curious as to what others have experienced.