Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-17-2011, 02:05 AM   #1 
omgitslph

Septicemia? Please Help Lando ASAP!

Shortly after my vacation I had to move back to my apartment for classes so my dad has been taking care of (and overfeeding) my poor fishies. I've come home to fit rot/fin biting and this. I feel like its septicemia, but I'm not sure. There is some red in this bulge and its mostly on 1 side of his body. The bloat looks different than usual and kind of filled with a liquid. I have him in epsom salt until I can get to a fish store in the morning before I go into work. Any info would be great, thanks so much <3

Housing
What size is your tank? 10 gal (currently in a hospital cup floating in the 10 gal)
What temperature is your tank? 80-82F
Does your tank have a filter? No, just a filter with no filter cartridge to circulate the water.
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? A filter with no filter cartridge to circulate the water.
Is your tank heated? Yes
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? A fake log and fake plants :P

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? pellets and daphnia (unsure of what he was fed in the last week)
How often do you feed your betta fish? once a day

Maintenance
How often do you perform a water change? twice a week
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? 50% and 100% weekly
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? epsom salt and stress coat+

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters?

Ammonia: normal
Nitrite: normal
Nitrate: normal
pH: normal
Hardness: normal
Alkalinity: normal

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? Bloated more than usual
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? A bit more lazy, but really not that much
When did you start noticing the symptoms? Yesterday and more so today
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? floating in a hospital cup with epsom salt to
Does your fish have any history of being ill? All the time. Chronic bloat, hook worms, and SBD. You name and he's had it.
How old is your fish (approximately)? about a 1.5 years?

omgitslph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2011, 02:12 AM   #2 
Pataflafla

Septicemia is red streaks I believe.

Looks like severe bloating, so I would up the epsom salt to 2-3 tsp/gal if he's not any better by morning. He's probably really constipated after being overfed for a bit. Fast him for a few days too to let everything get through his system.
Pataflafla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2011, 02:19 AM   #3 
omgitslph

With him being at a chronic bloat I can tell you it's different than usual. The bloat is on one side (picture 2) with a bit of red in it that looks like veins. It also looks like it's filled with a clear liquid compared to when he is normally bloated.

Edit: Actually, it might be bacteria causing the bloat?

Last edited by omgitslph; 09-17-2011 at 02:28 AM.
Old 09-17-2011, 03:17 AM   #4 
fightergirl2710

Its possible that a bacterial infection or parasites may be causing the bloat.. There are some anti parasite pellets people recommend here.. I'm not sure of the name, maybe Jungle? Someone can clarify that for you, all I know is that they have metronidazole as one of the ingredients.. But I would definitely use the epsom salt that pataflafla mentioned..
fightergirl2710 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2011, 11:42 AM   #5 
Pataflafla

Jungle Medicated Parasite Pellets I think is what you were thinking about. I don't know if they make medicated pellets for bacterial infections, but you'd probably be able to find it online somewhere.
Old 09-17-2011, 11:46 AM   #6 
Indyfishy

Jungle no longer makes the ant-parasite pellets =( How much epsom salt are you putting in??? I'd say he needs about 3 teaspoons per gallon considering how bad he is right now, poor guy!
Indyfishy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2011, 11:49 AM   #7 
Pataflafla

I'd say I'm glad I bought them when I did, but I can't get any of my bettas to eat them whether healthy or not.

I do think that some time with 3 tsp/gal epsom salt will help out greatly. If there is a sac with fluid contributing to his bloating, the epsom salt will help with that too.
Old 09-17-2011, 12:44 PM   #8 
fightergirl2710

What about getting plain metro tablets? I do that since I don't have any actual fish meds available.. I soak bloodworms in metro water for 10 hours and then give them to the parasitic/ infected fish..
fightergirl2710 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2011, 01:29 PM   #9 
DarkMoon17

This looks like either severe constipation or swelling in an organ (possibly both). If it is a organ swelling then he needs a broad spectrum anti-bacterial like Metronidazole or Kanamycin. It has to be an oral medication. It does not appear to be Septicemia (infection of the blood), but he does appear to have an internal infection.

You can get Metronidazole tablets from your local vet, just crush them up and soak his daphnia in them overnight. Feed sparingly 2-3 times per day. Make a new batch everyday. Or, if you have a local fish specialty store, they may sell Kordon liquid Kanamycin or Metro. which is designed to be fed or pre-medicated flakes.

Until you are able to get meds, treat by increasing temp to 84*F, QT and continue treating with 3tsp/gal Epsom Salt.
DarkMoon17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2011, 05:32 PM   #10 
omgitslph

Do I have to have a prescription for it? Can I try treating for broad-range bacteria for the meantime? I have to find a vet that is open on Sunday. I don't want to lose my baby. :(