Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-06-2011, 01:53 AM   #21 
shemumbles

The water is sitting at a fairly steady 82F tonight. Right now it's being heated by the light above it rather than the fluval heater I have, which I can not control the temp with. it's supposed to heat the water 4 degrees above the ambient temp. I didn't feel confident that it would be best to put it in the water bowl with the temp staying as high as it was.
Other than that yes, just water conditioner, aq salt.
shemumbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 01:54 AM   #22 
shemumbles

Thanks again, I will update tomorrow at my first chance.
Old 10-06-2011, 11:36 PM   #23 
shemumbles

Well, Tom is still with us, but it's still not looking well. He has several more patches of disintegrated scales, including under his gils, and now a big hole in his lower fin.
We are just staying the course right now. This is so hard.
Old 10-07-2011, 01:40 AM   #24 
GreenTea

I will pm OFL and Darkmoon and ask them to add their two cents. I hope he makes it, he is a gorgeous fish and it's obvious you care.
GreenTea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2011, 02:27 AM   #25 
Sakura8

Right now, I'm thinking columnaris or saprolegnia. One is a bacterial disease and the other is a true fungal disease. Both present roughly the same outer symptoms of white fuzzy patches. Either way, the best treatment is 3 tsps of aquarium salt and lower the heat to about 78 degrees in case it's columnaris. It's a little hard to tell. The stuff I can see looks like it's goldish, not white?

The patches of disintegrated scales, do they look like ulcers or open sores?
Sakura8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2011, 09:51 AM   #26 
Oldfishlady

I agree with Sakura.....it sounds like a secondary and he needs high dose of aquarium salt 3tsp/gal-tannins and lower(75-76F) water temp along with water changes while in QT.....premix the treatment water in a 1gal jug of dechlorinated water-add the salt and tannins and use this for the water changes-this will help make correct dosage and water changes easier...good luck and keep us posted....
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2011, 12:13 PM   #27 
shemumbles

Good Morning.
He's still hanging in there. Still slowly swimming around, and at least he is more level and not hanging more vertically. He will swim around to me if I put my face up close to the bowl - but still not interested in food in any way.
I've got some updated pictures from this morning.

We are in the process of lowering the water temperature and will do the water change again shortly.
Just to be clear, it's just conditioned, declorinated water with AQ. At this point I'm not to add any Pimafix or Prime - correct?

Thanks again everyone.
Old 10-07-2011, 11:03 PM   #28 
DarkMoon17

Sakura and OFL pretty much covered everything. And you are correct, do not add any Pimafix, it is actually not good for bettas anyway. You don't need the water stability either. Good luck and keep us posted!
DarkMoon17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2011, 11:30 PM   #29 
shemumbles

In this 2 litre bowl that he is in, does this sound like the correct amount of additives? For water conditioner I put in .35 ml of Nutrafin Plus, and we put in 3/8 tsp of aq salt in a 95% water change. Temp is working it's way down, it's now at 79.5F.
I purchased Prime, but in chatting with Greentea it seemed best to stick with the Nutrafin Plus as it's a bit slimier and has Indian Almond Leaf, so it would have tannins naturally within in.

I hope I'm making sense.

He's at least looking at the worm we tried to give him, but I don't think he has the strength to go after it. At least though he is horizontal now and doing slow laps around the bowl. Very slow, but he's steady.

Here are current photos:
Here is his "healthier" side, and actually this is the side we first noticed the problem on next to his eye:

and here is his really bad side. His tail fin also has a nasty hole starting too, right at the base in the centre.

Again, thanks for all the advice. We are doing our best to help this little guy. Right now he looks like a zombie fish!
Old 10-08-2011, 01:08 AM   #30 
Miyazawa

omg he's a gorgeous fish, i hope he can make it! i can totally see the determination in his eyes!
Miyazawa is offline   Reply With Quote