Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-10-2011, 04:01 AM   #61 
shemumbles

We'll make sure the water temp stays lower for sure. It's at 79 right now, so I'll try to again slowly bring it down to 77. It's been almost a week now that he has been battling this. I think it was Monday last week that this all started. What a trooper!
shemumbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 04:04 AM   #62 
Miyazawa

im sure he will recover! he's such a strong little guy :D you will find out if it is a fungal infection or bacterial soon enough.
Miyazawa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 04:13 AM   #63 
Sakura8

If your one guy had columnaris, there's a good chance Tom has it too. I believe it is contagious, as it is a bacteria that can be transmitted. Keep up the good work, shemumbles!

And I totally agree with you, I wish there was a cull option for humans too.
Sakura8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 02:57 PM   #64 
shemumbles

Tom seems a little worse today. Staying close to the bottom of his bowl, and not moving around as much. It doesn't appear that he as eaten anything yet either. I'm starting to think maybe it's time for the next step?
Old 10-10-2011, 03:42 PM   #65 
Miyazawa

Quote:
Originally Posted by shemumbles View Post
Tom seems a little worse today. Staying close to the bottom of his bowl, and not moving around as much. It doesn't appear that he as eaten anything yet either. I'm starting to think maybe it's time for the next step?
may i ask did the temperature go up or down?
Old 10-10-2011, 05:02 PM   #66 
shemumbles

The temp has gone down slightly. I was going to raise the temp up to around 80F, but after reading the last few posts kept it down to 78F. The necrosis on his face seems a bit worse, not larger, just like more of the flesh has come off and it's more raw. He just seems a bit weaker, perhaps it was more because we had just turned his light on and he was still fish sleep mode?
Old 10-10-2011, 05:11 PM   #67 
Miyazawa

I leaning toward saprolegnia. The lethargicness may come from the lower temperature but the important thing is did his open sore get worse? Try to lower it a bit more and if it gets worse then im pretty sure is saprolegnia since lower temperature should slow down columnaris. And normally the fish should be dead in 24 hours if the temperature is as high as 80. Fungal infection attacks slightly slower than bacterial.
Old 10-10-2011, 10:01 PM   #68 
shemumbles

Ok, I stopped at the LFS this afternoon. I hope this is divine intervention. I could just smack forhead. I picked up Maracyn instead of Maracyn 2. I already have E.M. Erythromycin which is the same active ingredient as Maracyn. I think I should start this treatment at least now because it's been a week and although he is not getting worse he is not getting better, and it seems to me that he is actually getting a bit more jumpy. Temp is sitting at 78F.
Should I try the next step?
Also, when I condition the water, do I still add the aq salt with the Erythromycin?
Old 10-10-2011, 11:01 PM   #69 
Miyazawa

I'm leaning toward fungal infection though.
Old 10-11-2011, 01:53 AM   #70 
LittleBettaFish

I don't think it is fungal. It looks bacterial to me. My fish had the same sort of body ulcerations and it cleared up following treatment with antibiotics.

That necrosis doesn't look like it's healing, and the longer it stays like that the more chance Tom has of picking up a secondary infection. I would definitely recommend commencing with medication.

Salt treatments and temperature adjustments can only do so much. If it is bacterial, it's going to need more than that.

Shemumbles, can you get a closer and clearer shot of Tom so we can get a better look. It's hard to tell with the distortion of the glass what exactly is going on.

Fingers crossed your boy gets well.
LittleBettaFish is online now   Reply With Quote