Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-11-2011, 02:10 AM   #71 
shemumbles

This is the best I can do with the camera I have right now. I hope these help.

Any suggestions and feedback are very welcome.
shemumbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 02:18 AM   #72 
LittleBettaFish

Is there a visible fuzz growing on it, or is it more of an ulcer type wound where it looks raw and infected? With mine, it looked like the actual scales were flaking off.

Just from the way it seems to be eating into his body and anal/dorsal fin makes me think it is columnaris - or at least something bacterial in nature.

I wish it was easier to take fish in for a check-up like all our other animals. Without a scraping and a look under the microscope it's sort of just a guessing game.
LittleBettaFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 02:21 AM   #73 
Miyazawa

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleBettaFish View Post
I don't think it is fungal. It looks bacterial to me. My fish had the same sort of body ulcerations and it cleared up following treatment with antibiotics.

That necrosis doesn't look like it's healing, and the longer it stays like that the more chance Tom has of picking up a secondary infection. I would definitely recommend commencing with medication.

Salt treatments and temperature adjustments can only do so much. If it is bacterial, it's going to need more than that.

Shemumbles, can you get a closer and clearer shot of Tom so we can get a better look. It's hard to tell with the distortion of the glass what exactly is going on.

Fingers crossed your boy gets well.
well I'm leaning toward saprolegnia because she lowered the temperature and it got worse. Normal bacterial infection thrives in higher temperature like columnaris. It shouldn't suddenly get worse because she lowered the tank temperature. It's pretty easy to diagnosis though by changing the temperature since again fungus tends to thrive in colder water but bacteria is the opposite
Miyazawa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 03:34 AM   #74 
GreenTea

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miyazawa View Post
well I'm leaning toward saprolegnia because she lowered the temperature and it got worse. Normal bacterial infection thrives in higher temperature like columnaris. It shouldn't suddenly get worse because she lowered the tank temperature. It's pretty easy to diagnosis though by changing the temperature since again fungus tends to thrive in colder water but bacteria is the opposite

Saprolegnia is almost always a secondary infection, that goes along with something else - like columnaris. Saprolegnia can be ruled out if the white patches do not look like hairs growing from the fish - also, saprolegnia feeds on tissue that is already dead, it doesn't create new lesions on healthy tissue like columnaris does. Because of this, I do not think it is saprolegnia.
GreenTea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 08:49 AM   #75 
shemumbles

Nothing looks fuzzy or hairly, strictly like it's dead tissue that is eating away. The ulcers look raw and have bloody streaks in them, although there is no bleeding in to the water. I just turned his light on and the kitchen light, and after a few minutes as usual he swam up from the bottom where he was resting to check out the top and swim around a bit. So he doesn't seem worse this morning.
Old 10-11-2011, 09:57 AM   #76 
Miyazawa

Well I mean you can try to treat him with maracyn 1 and 2 and see how it goes
Miyazawa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 10:50 AM   #77 
shemumbles

I have a couple more photos:

Old 10-11-2011, 11:32 AM   #78 
Sakura8

shemumbles, go ahead and treat Tom with Maracyn I and the erythromycin combined. Keep his tank darkened because Maracyn is light-sensitive and may not work as well with lots of light. I hope it helps. Good luck, I'll be rooting for you and Tom.
Sakura8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 12:33 PM   #79 
shemumbles

If I have the light off, what temp should the tank be kept at when using both medicines?
Old 10-11-2011, 02:08 PM   #80 
shemumbles

Well sad news everyone. Despite my very best efforts and all of your extremely generous help and advice Tom did die this morning. My husband just called me to tell me the news. I had tried to reach him earlier this morning to tell him to make sure the light was off, but was unable to reach him. The temp in the tank was higher because the ambient room temp was higher and then with the light above making it higher than it had previously been a few days ago. I guess though, sadly, that it would have been the final push for him not to be able to fight back. I feel just awful. I wish I hadn't turned his light on this morning.
That being said, he was really struggling since yesterday. The necrosis was so deep especially under his gills I was worried it was going to eat all the way through.

I'm so sad!!

Thanks again everyone.