Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-06-2011, 03:02 PM   #1 
hellojello

Smile salt treatment and miscellaneous q's

hi!! my OHM is having a few issues... i would really appreciate some help.

the situation-
i've had him in AQ for the tail biting, which isn't really doing much, considering he is still biting and has almost no caudal left....
but i've been keeping a close eye on him and i noticed
1. he looks to be developing popeye
2. he doesn't poo very regularly. maybe every other day (is this normal??)

my questions-
should i do an ES treatment for the popeye/constipation situation?
(((i'm hoping this is the cause of his tail biting...)))
is the procedure the same?
1tsp/1gal - 100% WC...
how long should i do this?

any advice would be awesome!!!
TY in advance
hellojello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 03:37 PM   #2 
Sena Hansler

AQ won't stop him from biting. It can be caused from stress, sickness, boredom, and a heavy tail.
Popeye is common in bad water quality... Which then I ask how big is your tank/bowl (8 cups in a gallon, if it's a bowl), is it heated, how warm is the water, and how often is it cleaned/how is it cleaned?

Popeye would not be from his tailbiting, like I said probably from water quality...
Then we can help ya :)
Sena Hansler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 03:43 PM   #3 
hellojello

he is normally in a divided 10 gal, heated (about 80F), filtered, regular WCs.
the guy he shares the tank with is completely fine, they eat the same food and everything, never had any problems.

i know the AQ won't stop the biting, i was just hoping it would help promote some regrowth... so now i'm just trying to treat whatever is causing the tail biting.

i'm hoping that with clean water (ES or AQ) and extra love, this will be a thing of the past with him... siiigh
Old 10-06-2011, 04:00 PM   #4 
Sena Hansler

Hmm, well what does he have on his side of the tank? And is he still in the 10 gallon...what is he in now?

If his tail is (usually) super long that could be why... longer the tail, the higher chance of tail biting. Also, boredom, can be relieved by adding caves, tunnels (clear pipe usually works), live and silk/soft fake plants...
You have plants or something hiding the divider between the two bettas? He could be stressed seeing him all the time :)

And I was told AQ for outside, EP for inside!
Old 10-06-2011, 04:06 PM   #5 
hellojello

i'll treat him with ES for now... i have him in a 1gal, just to make treatment easier
he has lots of super fun things to do on his side - that's why its so weird! he has a cave, a ping pong ball, a bunch of plants (live and silk)... i move the decor around from time to time too. him and the other guy never flare at each other, i dont think they can see thru (it's black craft mesh).

i wonder if the popeye/constipation (stress from that) is the cause for the tail biting??
maybe i just need reassurance? lol
Old 10-06-2011, 04:21 PM   #6 
Sena Hansler

You do not need Epsom because it's probably not internal. Popster is external defense attacking a bacteria (from what I know). Try fasting him (no food!!) for 2-3 days. This helps clear him up. Bettas should be fasted a day per week minimum IMO/IME anyways to help their digestive system. Does he eat flakes... Freeze-dried... Pellet... Live...? Could be from food, or water quality.
How much and how many times do you clean the tank?
Old 10-06-2011, 04:28 PM   #7 
hellojello

he eats pellets (aqueon brand, i think) and dried blood wormies (top fin). 1-2 x per day, a few pellets and worms for snack only.
i do weekly 25% (~2gal) then the next week i do 50% (4-5gal), alternating.
i am thinking of adding in a monthly 75%... not sure if this would be overkill?

i'll try fasting him! he's gonna be so mad at me, lol

and thanks, btw, for your responses!!
Old 10-06-2011, 04:52 PM   #8 
Myates

Hi, and welcome to the forum.. sorry about your little guy.

AQ salt has a potential to actually slow down fin regrowth. What you will want to do to help with both is this:
No need to fast him if he isn't bloated... he needs his strength and immunity from the nutrients of his food.

In his QT bowl you will want to do 1-2 tsp Epsom Salt per gallon for his popeye, with daily 100% water changes. Instead of your current regular water conditioner, use Stress Coat+, it will help keep him soothed, and it will help promote fin regrowth. Do that treatment 10-14 days with the Epsom and Stress Coat.

You can continue to add in drops of Stress coat into his regular home (10gal) during each water change. A few drops along with the normal dosing of water conditioner is safe. Is your 10 gal tank is filtered and cycled, or unfiltered? That would make a difference on how much water changes is needed.

Good luck, wish you the best.
Myates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 04:55 PM   #9 
Myates

Oh forgot to add.. the not pooing daily doesn't mean he is constipated.. bettas aren't like a lot of other fish, they actually don't go all that often. Unless he is bloated, continue feeding him. If he is, then the Epsom Salt treatment will help that as well with the popeye. If you can post a picture, that would be helpful in determining/varifying if that is the issue at hand.
Myates is offline   Reply With Quote