Housing
What size is your tank? 1.5
What temperature is your tank? 80
Does your tank have a filter? no
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? no
Is your tank heated? yes
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? Zero

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? Nutrafin max Flakes w/freeze dried bloodworms
How often do you feed your betta fish? once a day

Maintenance
How often do you perform a water change? once a week
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change?100
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? Aqueon Betta Bowl Plus (the water goes through a water softener, i dont know how to go around it)

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters? no

Ammonia:
Nitrite:
Nitrate:
pH:
Hardness:
Alkalinity:

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? He is bloated and the color has faded behind his head.

How has your betta fish's behavior changed? sits on the bottom of the tank and only comes to the top to eat. but still occasionly swims around but very fast. he sometimes runs into the glass and the plants.

When did you start noticing the symptoms? On sunday

Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? I started today with a mixed a gallon of water conditioner, epsom salt, and oak leaves. I put him a jar with that mixture today, because i read to do that for a boalted fish. But i didn't do the hour change for the first three hours, and i'm Not really sure if i should put the leaves in there with him, or filter the leaves out. I just gussed and I have filtered the leaves out. I am with holding food. (Before I put him in to the jar with the mixture) he would eat and still poo just fine, but he is super bloated and i don't know what happened.

Does your fish have any history of being ill? No

How old is your fish (approximately)? I bought my fish three months ago.

He is bloated and if i gave him food he would eat and he would poop. I don't know what went wrong i had a betta before but died of old age so this is new and scarry. he almost looks like he might pop if he gets any bigger.

I need some Help and advice anything, I dont care at this point. I just need any kind of help that would ease my anxiety.
Franklinstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 09:45 PM   #2 
bahamut285

Hello, welcome to the forum! Sorry to hear your guy is not feeling well :(

Freeze Dried Blood worms should either be a treat or a meal REPLACEMENT, not for everyday meals. I normally fast them on Sunday, so I don't feed them anything, but right before dinnertime, I'll give them one or two bloodworms for the whole day :D

What colour is his poop? Can you get a picture of his stomach?
bahamut285 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 10:14 PM   #3 
Franklinstein

The food that I feed him is flakes and blood worms but i don't think the food has any in it because i dont see them. I do have blood worms but i don't give him any and if i do it might be once a week..

Here are some photos i dont know how to post them so here is a link.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/67839326@N05/6176458819/
Old 09-23-2011, 11:00 PM   #4 
omgitslph

That looks like an infection instead of constipation. What color is the poop? This will tell us a lot about what's going on in your fish's belly. :)

(Also, I'd switch from flakes to pellets.)
omgitslph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 11:14 PM   #5 
Franklinstein

his poop is long and light brown. I remeber his poop used to be brown and thick and curled.
Old 09-23-2011, 11:18 PM   #6 
omgitslph

No clear poops at all? If not that rules out worms. I'm gonna say its a internal bacterial infection. I'd wait to confirm that with another member to be sure, but for now move him into 3 tsp a gallon of epsom salt since he's so huge. That should help control the bloat.
Old 09-23-2011, 11:29 PM   #7 
Franklinstein

Ok because I have 1 tsp w/ gal and 18 crushed oak leaves and the water treatment in a gal. And I filtered the oak leaves out into a jar that's what he is in now, and also explains the brown water. I promise it's clean. I just started today with the water.

But I’m not really sure I’m doing the water treatment right. I will do the 3 tsp like you recommended. But how long does it take for the bloating to go down? I haven’t seen any change in him at all, and I put him in his jar this morning so he's been in there for at least 12 hours.
Old 09-23-2011, 11:36 PM   #8 
omgitslph

He's so big that 1 won't help at all. I currently have my betta, Lando Calfishian, in 3 tsp a gallon since he has a worm and it went down a bit. You can see his bloat here http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y12...r/DSC_0025.jpg

You should see some change in a few hours or so I'd think. I really don't know though. Keep him warm and in epsom salt and I'll do some research. :)
Old 09-23-2011, 11:45 PM   #9 
Franklinstein

Is it a Tablespoon or a teaspoon? Yeah his way big I'm scared that the jar i have him in is giving him anxity, but I dont have anything bigger. He is about 3.5-4 inches I dont really know what he is maybe a delta? :( I'm a terable mom.
Old 09-23-2011, 11:52 PM   #10 
Pataflafla

3 teaspoons per gallon is the dose you'll need. If his poop turns white and stringy, treat him for parasites with either General Cure or Jungle Parasite Clear.

Also, if you can, switch to pellets. Flakes are notorious for bloating issues (maybe not as severe as your case, but they still are a cause of it). Blood worms as a treat as previously stated.

If he' still willing to eat after fasting for 3 days, you can try feeding him daphnia(if you can get it).
Pataflafla is offline   Reply With Quote