Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-06-2011, 08:49 AM   #11 
Laki

omygoodness! Thank you for saving those poor wretched things. I cannot believe the ignorance of some people. And like mentioned above, goldfish are by far the most abused fish bc how cheap they are. People assume they can like worse off than bettas :/ They are more advanced than bettas for sure.
An [old] friend (old friend for a reason) had roommates who kept a small goldfish in a 2L pop bottle half filled with water. It lived on a bass speaker and when they wanted to get worse with the abuse they had a straw which they would blow bubbles into the water. I'm actually sick with regret for not taking it. I did try to inform them but some guys are SO stupid and backwards that anything a weakling girl says cannot possibly be true and get back to the kitchen to make me a sandwich.. :/ I HATE them.
Laki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2011, 03:13 AM   #12 
Banicks

Hi guys, just an update.

Have some photos finally, none of the goldfish - doesn't stay still or in-front of the decorations. Here is the closest google image I could find that looked the same:

For the rescue Betta, I've upped the ES to 3tsp as there has been no noticeable waste in the tank, and I think he is still swollen. I can't really tell though because he is much larger than Victor. Can someone please verify from the photos?

And for those interested, this is how they were kept before I was given them. Please note the cloudy goop slime in the water on Betta's side. It stuck to the tank and net, was a bugger to remove!
Banicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2011, 04:27 AM   #13 
Pataflafla

He doesn't look swollen to me. His system might be a little slower right now though if he hadn't eaten for a while or was eating a different food.

That goldfish is going to need a pretty large tank however once it's done healing. I had one in a 10 gallon (Was young, didn't know any better, and changed the water once a week plus a dinky filter) that grew to be almost too big to turn around in it. She was in that tank for 12 years before I gave her to a friend of mine that had a nice pond, but she unfortunately couldn't handle the change.They can do with 20 gallons easy in my opinion.
Pataflafla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2011, 07:46 AM   #14 
Banicks

Thank you Pataflafla, I'll stop es treatment and begin aq salt treatment for finrot starting tomorrow :)

I have sourced a 20g container and will be getting an internal filter. It won't be anything fancy as far as setups go. But it will be comfortable for him :)
Banicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2011, 08:30 AM   #15 
Luimeril

the betta's fine. you don't need to be treating him with anything except clean water. he has a little fin rot, but looks pretty good otherwise. his system's probably slow, with is normal for a betta who's been living in a divided..... whatever-sized jar that is, with a goldfish.
Luimeril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2011, 07:26 PM   #16 
Laki

Wow, what yucky conditions they were in!! I was thinking a smaller living area per fish but still.. That thing sucks! Poor fishies! I can;t believe people's ignorance of these 2 common pets.
Laki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2011, 08:45 PM   #17 
Bluebell

To treat fin rot use betta fix. its a small bluebottle. not very expensive but treats fin rot :)
Bluebell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2011, 09:17 PM   #18 
Luimeril

do NOT use bettafix. it contains a chemical that can burn their labyrinth organ. i've heard few good stories, and too many bad ones about it. fin rot can be treated with clean water alone, and doesn't' really need any meds to treat it.
Luimeril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2011, 09:26 PM   #19 
BettaMiah

You got me crying. I am bawling for those poor fish. They were condemned to hell. That is a Common. So, you are going to need at least 55 gallons. He is not a fancy. I can even tell by the one in the picture of them in the hell tank.

How dare they. They tortured those poor creatures, i'm sure they were just waiting to die. Poor, poor babies. :'(
BettaMiah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2011, 09:28 PM   #20 
BettaMiah

This is my Goldfish- he is the same type as yours-

http://a4.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphot..._2360941_n.jpg
BettaMiah is offline   Reply With Quote